Testing out the New Hammock!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Just did a little overnighter in our field testing out my new MYOG hammock. I didnt even cook anything as i went in to eat lol. It was purely just to test it out. The hammock was sporting whoopie slings and toggles from mat at UKhammocks. :)
I used my tenthwonder tarp with doors which was strung up with loops of zing-it also from UKhammocks. I can thoroughly recommend the loops they are awesome!
I took the Coleman dual fuel Lantern and my Pipe Dream 600. I was toasty as i had my alpkit dirtbag and a reflective windscreen shield.
The Hammock is made of khaki bronze ripstop sold to me by Hugo. Thanks buddy! Its 1.45m wide and 3.5m long. Its dual layered but im not sure that it is better than a single layer. Next project a single layered one. I also need to get some Velcro to shut the layers together. I made a bishop bag for it as well.
Anyways more pics less babble you say?
Here it is! :)
106_0805.jpg

I did bring the sides down during the night but this was so you could see inside.
106_0804.jpg

This is the hammock!
106_0821.jpg

This is the toggle and the amsteel whoopie sling around it.
106_0807.jpg

Bishop Bag- If you dont know what it is its basically a double ended stuff sack.
106_0820.jpg

I hung up all my stuff on a ridge line suspended under the tarp. It worked very well!
106_0822.jpg

The car windscreen protecter is cheap, thus good for laying all you kit on before packing away.

I hope you enjoyed my report. It was to exciting but i thought id share it with you! :)

P.s the whoopie slings are amazing and if your thinking about getting some do. Mat has them for £11.50 for a pair!
http://ukhammocks.co.uk/shop/articl...2wyZxTZN8F5GG8i&shop_param=cid=3&aid=11.-001&

Last edited:

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Nice hang :thumbup: I used them screen reflectors last weekend on the ground. Beat the frost for no weight and pack room :thumbup::thumbup:

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Nice set up there! I'll be testing my new under quilt from Mat at UkHammocks just as soon as I get it! I've used a dirtbag in the hammock (sounds kind of rude) down to -3 and was plenty warm enough though. You can't beat backyard testing!

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Good work on the hammock, it's satisfying making your own stuff isn't it?!

Did you find it difficult to make?

Matt

No not at all mate. Just sowed a few hems that's all. It is very satisfying. Next project is a down unrequited but down is sooooo expensive. Have you thought about a DIY underquilts.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Yeah I thought about making a down one it but that's as far as I got!

There're a couple of threads on here that Teepee put up re the quilts he's made which look fantastic, The top quilt he made looks every bit as good as anything else out there. Might be worth a look before starting work on your own quilt.

I always suffered with cold spots underneath me when using a sleeping mat with my hammock so made a synthetic underquilt out of a 3 season sleeping bag:

IMG_0179.jpg

It's 3/4 length and I've not felt the cold since I started using it. I'll probably have a go at making a down one at some point but there's a couple of other things I want to make first.

Matt

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Brilliant work Jacob :)

Thats a nice looking setup. Be proud mate, way to get stuck into DIYing :)

Those windscreen reflectors make great lightweight insulation, I use them regularly.

For your quilt, check out the underquilt calculator on Hammock Forums, it does the hard maths part for you and makes things much easier (apart from buying the down) ;)

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Thanks Pete. I liek the reflectex thing. I do love the diying. So much fun! :) Yeh the down might be a bit hard on my wallet.
Ive checked the UQ calculator and its good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE