Tentipi Tent for Motorcycle Camping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I am currently doing research with thoughts into the purchase of a Tentipi tepee tent from Sweden. I live in Florida, USA were Tentipi tents are not sold anywhere so I have to order it from Sweden. I want to make sure it is as great a tent as the Tentipi manufacturer says it is. I have never seen one of the Tentipi tents up close in person, only on you-tube videos and pictures. So I have no real idea about how they look or feel inside of them or how things work. If you have any pictures of your Tentipi please post them so I may get a understanding about the tents. Or maybe you have another tent you use that you want to suggest I look at. I am thinking of the Safir model just not really sure about CP canvas or Light fabric or what size either the 5 or 7 person, many people say get the 7 as it is bigger with not much more weight and cost when buying. I was thinking of the Safir 5 Light but many say get the CP canvas one as it is more heavy duty and breaths better but it also weights much more than the Light. I plan to buy the floor but not the inner tent because of the extra weight. Weight and packed carrying size needs to be light and small sized for traveling packed up. I am looking for anyone who has a Tentipi or has use one before for information about them being used for mobile travel camping. I am planning a very long distance motorcycle adventure trip traveling for many months on the road from the sandy desert to arctic tundra and back. So I have a few questions about the Tentipi? Are they a excellent made high quality tent? Which is better CP canvas or Light fabric? Is canvas worth the extra weight? How do they pack down as far as size and weight to carry? Are they big and heavy to carry when packed up to travel, how is the weight? I understand they are tall and roomy but does the pole in middle cause problems? Are they dark inside or does light pass through during daylight? Do you use a stove inside your tent for warmth? Can a gas lantern be used to warm the tent enough to take the chill off? Do they really vent air the way they say they do with the inside adjustable vented tops? Are they good in really hard rain and very high winds, any problems with leaks, problems packing the tent up wet, problems with the floors, or any problems you may have had with your Tentipi tent? Tell me to what you like and love about the Tentipi tent for camping. It seems like a very high quality strong well make tent from excellent materials manufactured and sewn with extremely high standards of craftsmanship. Which is at least what I am hoping for what with the money cost of a Tentipi tent. I know they are very expensive so you do not have to tell me that. I really do not mind paying for a beautiful well made high quality Tentipi tipi tent if it's the kind of tent I can get years of good rough hard regular use out of it. Plus at $50 to $150 or more for one nights stay at a motel I figure it will pay for itself in no time if I can primitive camp and stay in it even in the very worst foul bad weather. I am looking for a strong sheltering tent that I can really get use to living in as I travel down the road as if it is my home. Where I would rather stay in my tent than get a motel or not mind holding up in it for a day in really bad weather when it's best not to ride my motorcycle or to just stay in it a few days at the same place without being cramped. No more having to crawl inside of a tent then only to be able to lay down in it. I want a real live-in tent that I can stand up in to move around spreading out my gear as I cook a meal feeling safe and protected from any outside elements that has the spirit and character of a nomad traveling home. Most of early primitive man's portable mobile shelters were forms of tepee tents because they worked to survive out in mother nature for thousands of years. Everyone knows a symbol of a tepee on a road sign is the sign symbol used to say there are camp grounds near by off the roadways. Which just goes to show you that even in today's modern world a tepee is the symbol recognized for camping pretty much world wide. Simple one pole design, easy set-up and down, and time tested to be a superior travel tent is what has made me look into tepee tents for my motorcycle camping travels. The Tentipi seems to fit what I am looking for in a tent that I can travel with as a trusted living shelter. I just want information so I know what to expect from a Tentipi tent before I would made a mistake ordering one. The Kifaru tepee is my second choice of tent, but do I need a stove, not sure I need a stove in either tent. What do you think about the use of a stove in one? Are they worth the weight of carrying one to use for heat and cooking? Does anyone use the Kifaru fold flat stove, how are they to use? I know the Kifaru fold flat stove will defiantly be the one portable stove I'll buy for my Tentipi to use in very cold winter weather. There just seems to be something about these tents I must say I am very impressed with the Tentipi Safir tents. I'm just not sure of which size or if canvas CP or Light fabric is better as weight and size can be a problem when weight limiting what your motorcycle can carry. So let me hear your opinions and please post pictures if you have any of your tent. Thank you for any help you can offer me.

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
I have the 7-man canvas Varrie and love it. I've had absolutely no problems at all, it's great in bad weather (which can be very bad on the west coast of Ireland) and is miles better than any 'normal' tent I've ever had in hot weather, such as 35+C on mainland Europe. I've used a firebox and an ex-US army stove inside many times but would love to have a Kifaru stove for bike travels.

The downside to all this luxury is the weight and bulk, but I'm prepared to put up with it simply because it's so good. For a single person the 7-man is probably overkill on a bike trip, but I often travel with others so went with the larger size.

I chose the canvas over the nylon type mostly for aesthetic reasons, but partially because I didn't want to lose space to an inner tent, nor did I wish to pay for the inner.

It weighs about 11kg so it depends on whether or not you're prepared to carry that much weight on your bike. But the weight on a bike isn't so great a consideration as the bulk might be. I either leave it in it's own bag and throw it on the rack, or can squash it into a 40l pannier (but the pole won't fit in the pannier so it goes across the rack anyway).

Some more considerations might be the fact that it draws so much attention which might be unwanted in poorer countries, plus the fact the sheer size (and colour of the cp version) makes it very difficult to wildcamp discreetly.

I would actually have bought the Kifaru in preference for a big bike trip (eg RTW) as it packs down smaller, is lighter and the collapsible stove is genius, but I simply could not get one from where I am as they wouldn't ship outside the States.

I think if push came to shove I wouldn't actually bring the Tentipi on a rtw trip as I'd be travelling as light as possible and wanting to wildcamp where possible, so I'd go for a smaller-packing nylon one with the collapsible stove (if I could get one). But when I'm sticking to mostly paved roads around Europe, and lacking the option of a Kifaru, I'll take this every time over a normal tent. HTH.

Info on Kifaru on a bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=350441

Packed in the left pannier..
3008636876_f73e6456bf.jpg

3810790529_e50fda0595.jpg
2828791942_0bc8ee4ab7.jpg

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
That looks great, Paddy, and as for the Safir 5 Light, at £900 it's far too rich for my pocket :( I started using the bike for camping 2 years ago and am so far on my second tent - still not happy with my choices. I love the look of the tent on Waylands Ravenlore homne page (http://www.ravenlore.co.uk) which can be found at http://www.tatonka.com/EN//Downloads/katalog/TATONKA-Tents-2.pdf. I know that it's smaller than the Safir, but, complete, its a lot lighter and about a quarter of the price :)

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
I know what you mean, I spent years cursing tents til I found the Tentipi, and while it's still a compromise, it's less of a compromise than anything else I've been able to get my mitts on :) I have about four other tents which have been unused ever since I got this, though I did take the Coleman Avior out once but found it unbearably small, guess I've been spoilt !

Which tent is it on Ravenlore ? I can see a Tentipi, tarps, a bell tent and the pyramid tarp - is it the pyramid tarp ? Have you looked at the GoLite Hex ? I've been very tempted by them and would love to try one out, but really can't justify it after spending the money I have on the tipi :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE