Tentipi Safir 7

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 11, 2015
Wrexham
Hi,
Me and my girlfriend are going to do a bit of travelling around Europe this summer and we were thinking about sleeping in Hostels and using a Tentipi Safir 7.

I was just wondering if anybody has any advice and/or experience of a trip like that.

We haven't bought the Tentipi yet, we're waiting to hear if anyone has any better sleeping options to mention.

Thanks very much
Cameron

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Pricey tent, and by the looks it'll be heavy too ...

Are you traveling by car or public transport?

Will you be visiting major cities, or more rural areas?

Which countries will you be heading to?

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
A lovely tent (i have the 9) but incredibly heavy, even split between 2.
you don't say if you're travelling by car or backpacking, interrailing etc.
If you have a car, then the tipi is great, plenty of space and pretty bomb proof.
if backpacking, then go for the lightest 3/4 person tent you can, something with a good size porch and easy to put up.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I'm assuming you mean the Safir 9 light and not the CP version. It's a good sized tent, I used to have a Vagge 7 and it used to squeeze into the side pouch of my pack so i'm sure you'll be able to compress the Safir.

For that kind of money though, I'd be inclined to get a Hilleberg Keron 3 GT and use the spare cash to upgrade sleeping arrangements. The only thing you won't miss out on is standing room but in all other ways for backpacking, I'd say the Hilleberg is better.

For weight shaving, I'd go for a MSR Papa Hubba which still has lots of room inside but for a tiny weight.

Ciaopaddy

Sep 27, 2005
Co.Galway
I've the canvas version and no way would I bring it backpacking at about 11kg Inc floor, it's heavy enough dragging into a festival. It's also pretty bulky, taking up 40-50l depending how you pack it. The light version is about half the weight but the likes of BackpackingLight.co.uk have some other lightweight alternatives if you're after the tipi style, eg the Wickiup or Megahorn.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
Hi Cameron,

I have the Zirkon CP7 and I'm very happy with it. As you know the Zirkon is the same size as the Safir but just different fabric.

I mainly use it when I'm camping from the car due to it's size and weight but do use it sometimes when camping from my bike. It's easy to erect by one person and takes about 15 mins to erect fully. My only grumble is that when its wet I don't have a big enough area to dry it without spreading it out in the garage - which is tricky in the winter as it takes a few days to fully dry.

Here are a few pictures to help.
file-3.jpg

With the mid standard floor
file-2.jpg

With it packed on the bike (in the yellow dry bag)
file-1.jpg

Another with the bike
file-8.jpg

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Cameron,

Do you need the space and weight of the tentipi tent? If you are not travelling by car, then it's going to be very heavy and bulky. You may want to look at some of the tents from the like of Luxe or Nigor. The Wikiup 3 for example is under 2kg, and would have plenty of space for 2 people plus luggage. Ditto the Luxe Sil Hex Peak F6 2015.

HTH

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE