Tentipi options

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I'm in the market for a new tent and I'm having a close look at a Tentipi, unless we decide to go for something smaller like a Hilleberg.

Roughly speaking it seems that the two options we have before things get ridiculously expensive are:
- Varrie in polycotton with a floor, or
- Nibba (nylon) with inner tent.

These two work out fairly similar in price, so the question is whether the added features and better materials of the Varrie are worth more than the benefits of having an inner tent with the Nibba.

I was wondering whether anyone here has thoughts and experience with these.

For more background detail, we haven't yet decided whether to go with size 5 or 7, and we'll figure out which heating options later. We'll be camping over winter so condensation will be an issue, but we'll also use it in the summer where mosquitoes and other bugs will need to be kept out. Weight isn't an issue as we'll be with the car.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

Mark

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Cotton needs more work... you need to dry it properly or it'll go manky and it's going to fill a bergen.

My lightweight 7 man fits in the side pocket of a bergen and just gets stuffed in there.;)

No idea about the inner tent but I did get the floor and it's nice.

African

Mar 12, 2007
Stevenage
My brother bought a 5 man tentipi and I was suprised at how small it was. I am more used to A shaped tents and lately to domes and tunnels which I think have more space inside. Also after looking at suppliers of any tents on the continent I reccomend you buy there. There is a big difference in price. Go to the manufacturers web site and look for suppliers in say Holland or Germany and compare their prises to what you have been quoted here. The difference will easily cover a cheap air ticket!! Example a crowd in Hpllond offer a 7 person Varrie for 1280.00 euros where I was quoted over £900 for one here!! Get the planning right you can buy a cheaper tent and try it out on a short continental break at the same time!! ;)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Cheers Squidders. I don't think size or weight are a problem as it'll all just go into the boot of the car. However, I get your point about cotton needing more work. However, since it's breathable and more "natural" I guess it's more pleasant being inside?

African, that size info is really useful. We'll have to organise to see the tipis before we buy (we may go to the CLA game fair where Nordic Outdoor will be showing some) to really understand what they're like. Although the 5 is cheaper, we're buying for the long term i.e. to take children, dogs etc so maybe the 7 would be more suitable. Plus you can fit the heater for the ultimate winter luxury...

stickbow

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2006
Northampton England
Hi There
I got a 7 man Varrie from "light my fire" 2 years ago and it is the best tent I have ever purchased, I can put it up in about 10 mins on my own I have the floor which opens up in the middle for a fire box and the extra ventilation means no condensation even with 5 of us sleeping in it.
You can also control the top openings from the inside and there is a mozzie net on the door and in the roof.
My grandchildren will have this when I can no longer camp (it is that good).
Have fun shoot a stick

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Ditto,
I bought one and it is truly the dog's proverbials, Goes up in as little time as two man and is like being in a cathedral, the air quality and the space is amazing. If you're serious about wanting a quality tent that will last for years get one of these. Ring Kasper at Nordic outdoor.

Can't recommend them too highly

Stephen

Hi There
I got a 7 man Varrie from "light my fire" 2 years ago and it is the best tent I have ever purchased, I can put it up in about 10 mins on my own I have the floor which opens up in the middle for a fire box and the extra ventilation means no condensation even with 5 of us sleeping in it.
You can also control the top openings from the inside and there is a mozzie net on the door and in the roof.
My grandchildren will have this when I can no longer camp (it is that good).
Have fun shoot a stick

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Have you read the reviews in the currant Bushcraft and Survival Skills magazine ?

Mike

No, I don't get the mag. What's the general consensus?

I'm looking forward to seeing some Tentipis after hearing lots of praise for them. I was going to go for a Hilleberg tunnel tent, but it seems that these may be lots more flexible, not to mention bigger.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
One of the only negatives for all tipis is the small internal volume when you think about the floor area... obviously, the further from the centre you get, the lower the roof is... in my 7, I can JUST get 2 of the US type folding camp cots on one side of the centre pole... this is the smallest I would like to go size wise.

The only other thing I did and would recommend is that if you get a floor... cut a big U shaped section out of it where the entrance is... it's really painful when you consider the price of the floor but it not only gives you somewhere to leave your muddy boots so you don't trample it all inside the tipi but when it's tipping with rain and you open the door, it doesn't get all over your floor.

For me though, the benefits far outweigh any downsides... the ability to stand up fully and have a stretch for one!

The camp cots are a luxury but there is something very civilised about sitting up in bed with a cuppa and putting your socks on without all this wriggling around on the floor like a normal tent.

There are a few accessories I like...

Those with bikes will be familiar with the small plastic discs that stop your bike stand from sinking in to the mud... these are also ideal for tipi poles (http://www.motrax.co.uk/index.php?page_name=product&product_id=856) obviously, this can be anything strong and flat should you not want to invest £1.50 ;)

The other thing I love is being able to hang stuff all over the tip pole... I got a load of these clip things with hooks on... FANTASTIC!!! I hang clothes, head torches, lantern... you name it... if it needs to be stronger, I just tie a little paracord around it so it doesn't open. I got them from an ebay seller but couldn't find them... http://www.towsure.com/product/2001-Pole_2-Hook sells them but I don't know the shop. Again, you could just tie things should you not want to invest £1.95

I hate the standard pegs... they are bulky, tend to bend and are the only real thing to let the tipi down... I much prefer this type http://www.edirectory.co.uk/pf/880/mia/d/royal+pile+driver+pegs+25cm/pid/5613239 and they can be got from anywhere.

Does anyone else have any lttle bits they like to use???

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Good tips there Squidders, cheers. Do the zips in the Tentipi floors not do the u-shape thing without having to chop it all up?

Leakydiff

Dec 19, 2005
Oxford
I have had a cotton tentipi 9 for about 4 years now. I have used it in Namibia in ++ heat and in the UK in early spring with temps below zero. I also use their stove in it and it is very comfortable. My family of 5 easily fit into it. Never a problem. The cotton is not difficult to look after and still looks brand new. We lived in it for a 3 months safari in Africa.
GREAT TENT!

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
No, I don't get the mag. What's the general consensus?

I'm looking forward to seeing some Tentipis after hearing lots of praise for them. I was going to go for a Hilleberg tunnel tent, but it seems that these may be lots more flexible, not to mention bigger.

They were very impressed, easy to errect and great overall. The only negitive point was regarding the stove which has "sharp" feet and could easily damage the floor, easy to do a home mod on though.

Mike

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE