Tentipi Advice Please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

isophene

Jun 5, 2010
Edinburgh
Hello everyone - in your opinion is a Safir 9 likely to be big enough for a family of five? The children are 5, 3 and 1.

We've got a two-person tent we could stow most of our kit in.

Thanks

Isophene

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Depends. Do you want to sleep-cook-eat in it, or do you want to live in it for a year? And if the latter, how cramped are you willing to be? Back a century and a half there were probably a lot of famillies larger than 5 that lived in smaller lavus... And I think the old Swedish army 12 man tent is (was?) about the same size, and that one was luxurius for 6, and cramped for the nominal 12.

We have a 5 (the old Tåpp Jakt), and 4 (2+2) can camp easilly in it. With gear.

isophene

Jun 5, 2010
Edinburgh
Thank you, forestwalker - we'd be spending plenty of time in it, but it wouldn't be our permanent address. We're thinking extended forays of a week or so at a time and weekends, really, to begin with. With another tent for storing the bulk of our kit it sounds like a 9 would be plenty of space.

Do you use a stove or a firebox? I like an open fire myself but I'm unaccustomed to the firebox.

Cheers

I

forestwalker

Thank you, forestwalker - we'd be spending plenty of time in it, but it wouldn't be our permanent address. We're thinking extended forays of a week or so at a time and weekends, really, to begin with. With another tent for storing the bulk of our kit it sounds like a 9 would be plenty of space.

A week or so, it should be possible to skip the extra tent. Do an experiment and set it up, load it up with all the kit and the sleepingspaces laid out. My ger is smaller than the safir 9, and we've lived 4 people in it for over a week, with lots of kit.

Do you use a stove or a firebox? I like an open fire myself but I'm unaccustomed to the firebox.

I have the lightweight model (we bought it as a tent for mountain hiking trips), so I have used the firebox a couple of times in it, but only with bone dry birch and great care. With a poly-cotton I'd have a fire every night.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I have the 9 and it would be absolutely fine for the five of you + all the gear, which stows out of the way round the edges.

A firebox is quite good in the 9 but you need very dry wood or you will get smoke. A stove is a better bet but would be problematic with the small children (VERY hot).

NS

isophene

Jun 5, 2010
Edinburgh
So ... a 9 with a firebox and very dry wood. Sounds perfect.

The Soulpads I looked at initially, and sort of backed away from them a bit because although I think the overall idea is great, and I like their website, and their gear is very attractive, I wasn't convinced they'd put up with much wear & tear. It does say 'for light occasional leisure use' on their website ... and I've emerged often enough from my tent after a night of gales to see a strewn field and mumbling campers squelching through the wreckage to be wary of anything that might actually not like a force 9 after all.

Forestwalker, I'll probably do as you suggest, try the 9 on its own first.

Thanks again

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I had a Soulpad set up for about 3 months last year with no problems except one guyline broke. seemed sturdy enough.

isophene

Jun 5, 2010
Edinburgh
Here's another advice request on a similar theme. Which firebox do you think I should get? I'm used to building fires but the box-under-canvas is new to me. The larger tentipi one looks of good dimensions but supposedly warps and rusts. There's something called a Yukon that is supposedly sturdier but a bit smaller, and the Liard seems a bit expensive to me. Help??

My choice would be the tentipi because I can see one in the shop up the road but I don't want to buy it if it's secretly rubbish.

forestwalker

The larger tentipi one looks of good dimensions but supposedly warps and rusts. There's something called a Yukon that is supposedly sturdier but a bit smaller, and the Liard seems a bit expensive to me. Help??

I use the smaller tentipi box. What I ike with it is that there is only four pieces total, and that you can put 2-3 pots next to each other on it. What I don't like is the fact that it rusts; if someone makes a copy in stainless (or Ti) I'd buy it in about 2.3 ohnoseconds[1]. I like the material choice in the Yukon, but the shape is wrong for me; I may want to boil rice at the same time as I'm making stew, etc. There is one made in Canada (Black Spruce Gear, http://www.blacksprucegear.ca/) that has a better form factor than the Yukon, but one ends up paying for shipping from Cananananada (another 40 Ca$ to Sweden). I'll probably go for that anyway, even if it then ends up costing like a Ti Yukon (and weighs 2,3 kg!).

On the other hand my tentipi box has been used for at least 100-150 meals, and is still going strong even if it is getting a bit ratty.

My choice would be the tentipi because I can see one in the shop up the road but I don't want to buy it if it's secretly rubbish.

Not rubbish, the design is brilliant, but it will rust and warp a little bit. I'll actually send them an email and suggest making it in stainless instead/as well.

[1] The ohnosecond is the shortest measureable timespan, e.g. the one that passes between grabbing the falling knife and realizing that that might not have been the smartest move.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Worth mentioning that smoldering/burning charcoal produces carbon monoxide, which is poisonous and heavier than air, so sinks to the floor of the tent.
For all night warmth a stove is a better option.
Ventilation at ground level is important when using a firebox. :)

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
As another Safir 9 owner I'd second, or third, or whatever the size as being good for the 5 of you. I've only ever used the small tentipi firebox (can't afford the stove) with plenty of low-level venting in the evening/day & not whilst sleeping for fear of carbon monoxide poisioning.

forestwalker

As another Safir 9 owner I'd second, or third, or whatever the size as being good for the 5 of you. I've only ever used the small tentipi firebox (can't afford the stove) with plenty of low-level venting in the evening/day & not whilst sleeping for fear of carbon monoxide poisioning.

That is a good point. Unless it is _quite_ cold (say -40 C or so), or you are doing without sensible sleepingbags, there is no need to try to keep the fire going all night. In the army we did it, but that was with a stove, at -35 C and without sleeping bags (the Swedish army did not normally issue sleeping bags to regular troops back then; only officers, special units and non-coms). We also took turns staying awake and feeding it, and keeping a fire watch.

Use the firebox for cooking your evening meal, perhaps a bit longer for the enjoyment of it, and then crawl into your bags. In the morning, the first person up lights the fire and starts cooking. The warmth from the firebox will make a major difference (heck, even a Trangia does in my 5), making it easier to get the less hardy ones out of their bags and simultaneously drying out the tent fabric a bit.

isophene

Jun 5, 2010
Edinburgh
Thank you for all your advice and ideas, I'll get kitted out and let you know how I get on. In the mean time have a look at this, it's the site of an acquaintance of mine who's built an ecological retreat in the woods in North Wales. www.caemabon.co.uk

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
I use a Safir 9 CP with the family and a helsport stove. My kids are 3 and 5 and they have their own inflatable beds. Me and the misses use a double inflatable bed. This occuplies half of the tent!
Let me know if you want any pictures of the inside.
I prefer the stove option as you can reduce the air flow to conserve fuel and make the stove heat for approx 6 hours with enough embers to start it up again.

isophene

Jun 5, 2010
Edinburgh
Hello, thanks for taking the trouble to reply - I'd love to see a photo of the 9 inside, yes, if you have one (or more) you'd care to upload, I'd find that v. helpful.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
here ya go.
campingmay201030.jpg

and how I make a porch
campingmay201027.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE