Tent stoves, what height are they off the ground?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Just wondering like:)

Not bothered if the measurement is in inches, cm's, mm's, cubits, feet or hands but I just want to know how much height they need in order that they aren't too close to the ground and scorch anything.
Oh, and what internal and external diameter is the chimney that comes with the shop bought ones?

Ta muchly, Scott.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'd say around a foot from ground to the base of the stove will be sufficient. Though as you know, heat rises, so the lower the better really. Have them too high and the ground area where you sleep wont be as warm as the rest and will cool down faster as the stove burns low. :)

Not sure about the chimneys as there are numerous sizes available

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I spotted the excellent ammo box stove thread and thought about knocking up something like that myself.
It at all possible I prefer things I make to be compatible with standard flues and the like otherwise everything is a "special" and has to be made up for that specific application.
The height off the ground I thought would be pretty much the length of whatever I could fit into the ammo box but just wanted to be sure before I spent time with a grinder and a welder knocking one up and as I've never even seen a proper tent stove in the flesh before I though its worth asking.

lkp6470

Aug 18, 2011
Somerset
Hi

Just thought I'd put my two penneth in.......
Our tipi stove stands about a foot off the ground. The stove legs don't get hot, BUT, the radiated heat from the stove body is enough to scorch the grass alone!
I damp down the grass first, then put a cut down fire blanket underneath the stove.
I reckon the grass could very easily catch light otherwise, it gets that hot!!

Lee.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hi

Just thought I'd put my two penneth in.......
Our tipi stove stands about a foot off the ground. The stove legs don't get hot, BUT, the radiated heat from the stove body is enough to scorch the grass alone!
I damp down the grass first, then put a cut down fire blanket underneath the stove.
I reckon the grass could very easily catch light otherwise, it gets that hot!!

Lee.

Thanks Lee.
All good information and gratefully received.
What type do you have and what parts would you change if you could?

Scott.

lkp6470

Aug 18, 2011
Somerset
Hi Scott

It's a Tentipi Eldfell Comfort 15.
Brilliant heat output, and easy to get going.
I reckon it could do with some sort of flue damper though, just to be able to shut it down a bit more at night.
I'm the guy often seen foraging for firewood around the campsite, just to feed my monster of a stove ;) !

Lee.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Hi Scott

It's a Tentipi Eldfell Comfort 15.
Brilliant heat output, and easy to get going.
I reckon it could do with some sort of flue damper though, just to be able to shut it down a bit more at night.
I'm the guy often seen foraging for firewood around the campsite, just to feed my monster of a stove ;) !

Lee.

Thanks.
What length are the sections of flue? Big lengths or short enough to fit into the stove when not in use?
What kind of diameter is the flue?

lkp6470

Aug 18, 2011
Somerset
Thanks.
What length are the sections of flue? Big lengths or short enough to fit into the stove when not in use?
What kind of diameter is the flue?

All 7 (or is it 8?) sections of flue pack inside the stove, along with the heat shield and spark arrestor.
Approx. 5 inch diameter at the base, and about 4 inches dia. at the top (plus 2 inches dia. added on for the heat shield).
Total stove and chimney height just over 4 metres.

Lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE