Tent stove draw and position

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

muffinski

Aug 18, 2011
west Midlands
In the process of getting a bell tent but what I can't decide on is it better to have the flue exit in the lower wall of the tent or in the sloping roof. It was pointed out to me by a stove company that stove flues should never be more that 6" in the horizontal due to bad draw and build up of carbon monoxide as heat raises. I was wondering what peoples experiences of stoves in bell tents have been regarding this. The plus side of the vertical flue is easy to set up than the horizontal, however, I reckon the horizontal flue exit it better protected by the overhand just above the wall and less likely to leak.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
My bell tent came with a horizontal flue jack, it works fine for me, part of the reason I chose it though was the fact I was too scaredy cat to cut a hole in an expensive tent:) I use a carbon monoxide detector (audible), and its never beeped at me. But with the vertical set up you are getting more heat in your tent.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I run mine up through the side. IMO it divides the space better. Plus I think there is more chance of an accident if its slap bang in the middle of the tent and also reduces standing space.
Downside is less flue and heat inside the tent. Although it still kept us warm at minus 14 up north.

PS I always use a moxy alarm but its never once even registered.

You can see the red heat shield on the right.

P1010033_zps6c2060c9.jpg

Last edited:

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
I will be getting a Soulpad bell tent and a stove at a later date. The one I looked at with the stove in it was spot on, the stove is on one side of the tent not the middle and the flue goes up and out the roof.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Boney which bell tent and stove do you have? On average how long does it take you to set the stove and flue up?

I bought my tent from canvas and cast aka belltentbiz, but I think the company has now changed hands. It takes me on average an hour and a half to set the tent/fire and furnishings out, always on my own as the family watch from a safe distance. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE