Tent seam sealing

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Hope this post is in the correct section.

EDIT: FOR SILNYLON, (thanks cranmere)

Seam sealing, how to go about it, ready made seam sealants or is it better to make your own, and a recipe for that if you have suggestions.

Any help, tips and tricks folks.

Thanks.

Last edited:

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
It depends on the fabric. Silicon coated nylon (silnylon) is notorious for being difficult to get things to adhere to so you need special glues and sealants. Other types of fabrics can be a lot easier but I would still test it first if you're thinking of using a glue that isn't actually designed for the job, not least because the solvents in some glues can cause the coatings on the fabric to separate and peel off. Natural fibres don't usually need seam sealants if they've been stitched properly.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
It depends on the fabric. Silicon coated nylon (silnylon) is notorious for being difficult to get things to adhere to so you need special glues and sealants. Other types of fabrics can be a lot easier but I would still test it first if you're thinking of using a glue that isn't actually designed for the job, not least because the solvents in some glues can cause the coatings on the fabric to separate and peel off. Natural fibres don't usually need seam sealants if they've been stitched properly.

Thanks for that cranmere, I should have said what fabric, in this case it is silnylon, cheers for pointing that out, ta. :cool:

foxtrot

Jan 18, 2009
chesterfield
I have made extensive use of McNett Sil Net on all my silnylon projects. Never fails! Cranmere is right. DIY mixes are too messy and unreliable to my mind.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Silicone treated fabrics need silicone based sealant. McNett Sil -Net is the go to. Windscreen silicone seal is also very high quality. Normal general purpose or low modulus silicone seal also works fine, doesn't need thinning either if you work it in well. ;)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Make sure the fabrics clean, and work it in well as has already been said. I use the make your own technique with clear bathroom silicone, but it doesn't seem to stick to the one side of the fabric, only the other, pvc for one side silicon for the other.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I do not know about diy but a shop bought pvc sealant works. Point being it's a bit annoying especially if you decide to join a pvc fabric and a silicone one and you need to cover the join.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
OK, thanks for the tips folks, I'm will diy the sil mix, all things considered I think I can I achieve a consistency that is more workable for my needs.

Petro, cheers, proprietary sealant it is, thanks to all.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Make sure you get clear silicone and not just bathroom sealant.

This it what sea to summit say about there dry bags

According to the manufacturer, the stuff sack is “Made of Ultra-Sil™ nylon, a polyurethane coated Siliconized Cordura® for ultimate waterproofing and maximum durability. All seams are double stitched and tape sealed.” Published dimensions are 6.5” x 18”.

So I can't say for sure

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Silicone should stick to pvc. It is after all used to seal pvc windows. I think the key might be choosing the correct type of silicon, i used soudal low modulus general purpose silicon and it did peel on PU fabric and stuck well to sil. Perhaps a glazing grade might be better for PVC/PU, aquatic grade is also a very high grade and bonds well, just about any should bond to silnylon.

I mixed 50/50 if i remember correctly with clear white spirit, no need to be too strict though just mix it until you get the right consistency and use a stiff brush [i trimmed down a thin + flat 1/4" brush]. You might want to give the fabric a little wipe with white spirit too to get a clean bond, ofc test on a discreet area etc.

Hope that help some.

EDIT: i think the white spirit is just as important to be good quality, if it has additives it might not bond as well. A guy on youtube used milky white spirit recoating a tarp and it peeled off.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE