Temperature rating of multiple layers in a sleeping system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Phaestos

Sep 8, 2012
Manchester
Hey guys,

Just a quick question. When adding things such as outer or inner sleeping bags, or something like the softie suit, do you just put their temperature rating on top of everything else in the system, add all the rating together and that gives you the overall rating of the system? I'm thinking that's too simple and probably unlikely, but I like to check these things.

Cheers,

Matt

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
What you have to watch when layering up "lofted" insulation is that unless each layer can "loft" to it's full potential then it wont trap the heat. So each layer has to be big enough to accommodate the other.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The hammock forums explanation is reproduced below. not tried it in celcius as all my bags are american and rated in Fahrenheit.

"First estimate: take the liner bag rating subtract it from 70, divide that number by two and then subtract it from the outer bag rate for a combined value ex

Two 40 degree bags... 70-40 =30 devided by 2 =15 subtracted from other bag 40-15=25 for a first cut estimate of the combined bags... it may actually be better but probably not worse, so this works as a good conservative estimator, IMHO"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE