Telescopic fishing rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peas

Jun 1, 2006
Sheffield
AJB, apologies if i have completely missed something, but could you tell me where you got all your stuff from please ?

thanks, Mike

M

Michael Mac

Talking of telescopic fishing rods... only this week while in Poundland (yes don't laugh lol) I found that they were selling them, also a reel and fishing kit which comprises of rubber bait, hooks of 2 different sizes, two floats and pack of shots!
All in all it costed me £3 :cool:
I'm going on an overnighter this weekend and intend on trying it out :D

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have just dug out my kingfisher 6ft and i should be going fishing not this weekend but next
leon

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Peas said:
AJB, apologies if i have completely missed something, but could you tell me where you got all your stuff from please ?

thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,

Sorry I can’t tell you exactly, as my sister got it for me from and Irish company and and she’s on holiday at the moment so I can't ask her, but that was the best price she found after an exhaustive internet search. Having said that, the prices seem to have taken a hike in the last few weeks, whether it’s the rumour that the rods are going out of production or not, I don’t know.

However, the people below have them at £85 including a real (half of Mr Mears price)

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/Product.../groupID/22/categoryID/210/referrer/fisheries

Or at £53 for just the rod...

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/1463/

BUT, THE WINNER IS…

http://www.fostersofbirmingham.co.uk/ST41330

AT £35!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fiacha

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2005
Dublin, Ireland
thanks for the link AJB.

lost the top section of my favorite pike rod off the side of the boat on saturday...doh!

think i'll get one of these to ease the pain a little :)

pteron

Acutorum Opifex
Nov 10, 2003
Wiltshire
pteron.org
I just priced it all up at tackle shop and it comes to 131 quid without the pouch or Mustad box, so RM doesn't appear to be far off.

BTW the rod that AJB points out for £35 is not the same one, they do the mini at £50 or so.

Would love to know who does the set at £55 total.

Jul 22, 2006
Scotland
I've got one of these shimano tele rods aswell, and I think they're great. :)

I've got the 9ft version (2.7M) which still pack away to 30cm!

The rod hardly weighs anything at all, but feels strong. I got the shimano nexave 1000 Rear drag reel to go with it aswell.

The whole outfit is so light and compact that you wouldnt even notice it in your bag. I mainly use mine for trout fishing.

This is the james bond of fishing rods

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
I also have the telespin 2.7 and the take down 2.4/2.7 STC rods. I've got the symetre 750FI and the nexave 1000 RA reels to go with them. Haven't used them much yet, but am definitely leaning towards the telespin for all sorts of reasons. Hope to do a review sometime of each one...

Shore fishing for mackies - so far not much luck! :(

ODG

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Not suprised in Wiltshire... ;)

Have you tried Chesil yet? Tiny spinner launched towards France, and try different depths til you find them. Follow the seagulls. They eat the same baitfish that the macks do. The plankton rises close in at dusk and dawn, and the baitfish eat it, followed by the bigger fish and gulls etc. They should go like trains on one of these rods.

Best bits are the car park at Abbotsbury and the car park at the other end too near the Portland Land Bridge.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Thanks for the tip! Last trip was at Brixham, and we fished off the breakwater. Caught mine on the first cast, and nothing but rocks and submerged line after that. Lost a good half dozen lures and a lot of line that day... :(

You've really got to watch those small reels - we both cast off one complete line each (100-120yds 4lb line), and I only just caught another before it hit the end!

No-one else was catching either though, so I didn't feel too bad. The one we caught was tasty enough, although of course I'd have liked more! We supplemented it with a couple of small crabs we were going to use as bait, and some winkles Andy 'foraged' while snorkeling...

Looking forward to the sea fishing trip next month - although I'm hoping to get some more shore fishing in before then...

ODG

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
I would seriously consider a bigger reel and about 150yds min of 8 lb line. Might not be too sporting but there is the very real possibility of hooking a bloody big bass or pollack and they will simply twang 4lb line. 15lb is better, but if you set the clutch right and not bully the bigger fish, 8 might cope. I think the rod would cope fine (mine arrives in a couple of days, so I'll let thee know what I think) as I normally use a weedy fly rod for my sea fishing and that's coped well enough! Oh, and i use 10lb line on the end. One of the main reasons is to have the strength to pull out of snags and weed.

Fishing over rocky weedy ground is good! However try a floating plug that sinks slightly when you wind in, this way you stay above the rocks yet the fish will still be attracted.

Simon R

Oct 29, 2004
Stafford
Just bought a 7 foot telescopic rod complete with reel and a selection of hooks, a float, spinner etc. It was a Fladen Tracker fishing kit from www.tacklebargins.co.uk. They have a big selection of stuff.
Not fished since I was a kid, but the kit looks ok for begining fishing again. I wanted a small kit for carrying in my canoe and it looks ideal for that. I'll try it next week on holiday in Scotland, hope I catch something!

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Cheers Spacemonkey. If I want to use heavier line I can use dyneema instead - it's more expensive but I can get up to 28lb with that (100-120yds) or drop to 15-20lbs and get 180yds on. That should do me... :)

Looks like our next trip won't be until the bank holiday weekend - I'm fighting an infection in my jaw after having a tooth out and don't feel up to much for this weekend, and next week Andy is away working so I've got three terriers to watch over as we're dog-sitting again!

ODG

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Spacemonkey said:
15 will do, the rest is a little heavy for the rod. If you guys are getting serious, then you simply MUST read this site: http://www.mikeladle.com/contents.html
At the bottom is the plug for their book, Hooked on Bass which is the UK bible for bass shore fishing. The best type of plug he reckons is the jointed type. Enjoy!

I'm off this weekend to Christchurch estuary with the fly rod for some bass...

What about this stuff?

http://www.berkley-fishing.com/prod.php?k=50276&sk=47013&u=FL300

I dont know anything about fishing, but reading about, it seems well rated. If it's thinner than regular line for the same strength, couldnt you get more of it onto a small reel?

Is it suitable for freshwater?

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Yeah that seems fine. I have braid on my reel for the Shimano and it's about 3x the strength of the size of nylon equivilant. About £10 for a 100 metres is about right.
Can be used fresh or salt, but beware that it is best used for spinnig where a direct no stretch approach is an advantage. If using for other tecniques you should take care when striking (setting the hooks) and just lift the rod tip a foot or two otherwise you'll just pull the hooks out. Nylon has a good degree of stretch that dampens the striking action that braid does not.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE