Telescopic fishing rods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Monkey,

Thanks a lot.

I asked the same kind of question from the Takle Shop and they sent me this...

Hi Andy

Thank you for your email. I use the mini light 2.1m rod myself

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/productdetails/mcs/productid/2219/GroupID/9/CategoryID/173

It is fantastic and I have used it for pike and sea fishing. It is very light and it is great fun when you hook a fish on it.

Basically with this rod sea or pike fishing is very similar. All you need is a light wire trace

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails/mcs/productID/802/groupID/16/categoryID/130

and a small rapala lure

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/productdetails/mcs/productid/2554/GroupID/21/CategoryID/227

link this with a small 750 or 1000 size Shimano reel and you are ready to go.
If you should require any further info please do not hesitate to contact me.

Regards

Mike

Mike Stone

www.TackleShop.co.uk

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i've got a telescopic rod and it was fine with medium fish ( didnt catch a big one )

Hi,
it's worth checking out as much as you can before buying. I tend to use Shimano STC rods for travelling (the multi-section types) & I use both spinning & fly rods. If possible go to a good tackle shop, ask their advice & have a look at all of the options open to you before you part with your hard earned wonga!
Anyway if you browse the link below you should find the entire Shimano range to give you an idea of what's available....

http://fish.shimano-eu.com/publish/...essionid=23d870cf-af2b-c449-8910-bd6ccc29b302

Tight lines!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I've gotten a clart of fishing gear off Lidl in the past couple of years since my old and originally expensive kit was knicked from the boot of my motor.

The interveneing time since I bought my gear has obviously had a profounf effect as this "budget" stuff appears to all intents and purposes to be very good....

To be honest, if I had to fish to fill the larder, I wouldn't be using a rod.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
For some reason, telescopic rods are not very available in the USA. I think it is because there were so many cheapy telescopic rods sold some years back, they developed an unfavorable reputation. They used to regularly advertise them on TV. I looked around trying to find one of the Shimano Exage 2.1m rods with the only source being on other continents! I did locate the Shimano 750 reels for a fair price. While I was looking about I came across this rig from Cabelas, it is not telescopic but is in several short sections although only 4ft 6in when assembled. It seems like a nice rig to keep in a rucksack for that occasional stream while out packing about. I would do away with the hard case for carrying in a pack, perhaps make a pouch out of light nylon. The beauty is the price which is $35US. I am seriously thinking about buying one. I prefer to fly fish, more fun and all, but spinning is fun too and easier, cheaper, etc. I think next payday I will order the outfit, made by Diawa BTW, which makes some reasonably priced, decent quality fishing gear. The link is
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&indexId=cat20287&hasJS=true&_requestid=76352

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
I have to go back on what I said about not liking telescopic rods.

Having used the shimano exage mini. tele rod recently, i'd say it's perfect for a backpacking fishing outfit!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I got one as a present a couple of weeks ago – I have only one problem, it’s too nice to get wet!

Apparently they are stopping making this - crazy

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
steve a said:
£40 here, together with a Shimano 750 or 1000 real, which are around £30-35, I have rod and its a good bit of kit
www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails...ID/173/v/bec2ef89-84d8-4ecc-b94d-4d8805fc0219

Thoroughly reccomend this rod, it's simply awesome, I enquired to it's merit when buying it and the shop when testing it landed a 12lb pike with no bother on it !!!

This rod lives in my bag, with a lightweight reel and box of lures, it weight next to nothing and means I can go fishing whenever I please.

Best thing I've ever bought.

(and yeah they are stopping making it, but the guy at tackle shop bought a fair few)

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
I'm afraid not, I have the medium one and I'd expect it would be too light for sea use, the best thing to do would be to give the chap (Ithink it's Mike) at tackle shop a call, he's super helpful and could answer straight away, it may be simply a case of going for a stronger test curve although I'm unsure as too whether he stocks those)

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/Product...l rods/v/07fb3699-fab9-42ee-9818-2dc378d5a6d0

This page has a telescopic beach caster, however pack size wont compare.

Tight lines.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Dan,

I've already spoken to him! He's got one and uses it for both course and light sea fishing. I just wondered if you'd tried it.

Thanks for the info though.

AJB

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
AJB said:
Hi Dan,

I've already spoken to him! He's got one and uses it for both course and light sea fishing. I just wondered if you'd tried it.

Thanks for the info though.

AJB

Sound, I may have to give it a go, although I know next to nothing about sea fishing. Top guy at tackle shop though, awesome service.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
I see Mr Mears has started to sell the Shimano Ultra Compact Exage Mini Telescopic Rod with a ‘specially selected’ set of kit.

I got everything on the list (in fact a better real) with the exception of about £5 worth of mini tackle box (priced at my local shop), off the internet for £55.

Mr Mears - £150 - respect

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE