Teaching kids to handle shotguns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
I am an Air rifle instructor with Scouts. Its amazing to see even the most unruliest Scout behave on the range as they know we have zero tolerance to messing about.

Proper instruction teaches discipline, concentration and self control. It also takes away the awe and wonder of shooting.

sakotrg

Aug 25, 2010
Aberdeen
Having already taken my sons down the same route I would suggest the following.
A good starter gun is the 28 bore on 14 or 17gr cartridges yes I know they are expensive but that's the way it is.
Teach safe handling, my sons can withdraw a shotgun from it's slip and it's fully opened by the time you see it, I can elaborate if required.
Don't see the point in .22 rimfire as a firearms license will be far harder for him to get, in theory you can have a shotgun certificate at a very very young age.
If you shoot a 12 bore I would recommend not having a 20 bore in the house as there is the possability of dropping a 20 bore down the barrel and then loading a 12 bore behind it one bang later and minus a hand you will understand the danger. If it can go wrong then it will go wrong.
Gun safety is quite easy to teach and go along with the clay instructor, make sure the gun is always open and never has any cartridges in until on the stand and ready to fire. Make sure the gun is put back in the slip between stands in the open position and closed at he slips it in.
The next gun up would be a 12 bore using 21 gr cartridges, there's not much recoil.
By all means post any questions.

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Tobes01, good man for getting your lad into the sport. Shooting is a noble and exciting sport and one that allows you to enjoy the best bits of Britain whilst having a lot of fun.

I had done a lot of weapons training on other rifles far more dangerous than a shotgun when I started but my philosophy was that a gun isn't dangerous, only the person using it. As long as he's taught well from a young age he'll be fine :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE