Teaching kids plant ID's

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cavegirl

Mar 21, 2015
Morecambe
I'd like to teach my little one some useful plant id's, some edible and some medical. I thought it might be fun to do it with easy to remember short poems that say something about the look of the plant aswell as its use.

I wondered if anyone knew perhaps of a book containing these types of poems or had any other ideas for making plant id's fun and easy to remember? Perhaps a fun game that gets them used to looking for and recognising local flora without even realising they're doing it.

TallTom

Forager
Mar 23, 2014
Surrey
Making leaf rubbings with crayons.
Scavenger hunts
ID wheels and other fun recourses for young people is available from http://www.naturedetectives.org.uk
And the repeated use and identification of plants will ingrain that information for life, go eat hawthorn, nettles, blackberries, wild garlic etc, making sure each time you do you get them to help ID it.
I have no poems though, and will be keeping a keen eye on this thread for more ideas :)
Hope that helps

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE