Tea Ball Infuser Burner For Volcano Stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
A nice, simple lightweight meths stove for your volcano cooker, or what ever else you can use it for !

First of all, you will need your tea ball infuser, some cotton wool balls, and some meths.

I find the three cotton ball fit just nice in my infuser, which I got from a local pound shop, I also got a huge bag of cotton wool balls from the same shop.

Fireburner001.jpg

Just open your infuser, put a cotton wool ball in each half, and an extra one in the middle. It should fill it nicely.

Fireburner002.jpg

[IMGhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v662/BikerSpike/Projects/Fireburner003.jpg[/IMG]

Next, you have to dunk the infuser into a pot with your meths in it. You could just pour the meths over, but if you dunk, you don’t spill your meths, so saving more for later. A good idea if you are saving fuel and money.

I used a cut down redbull type can, as it is the perfect size, and it was handy ;)

Fireburner004.jpg

Fireburner005.jpg

Next, take your infuser and hold above your meths pot to allow it to drip off any excess.

Now, when you light it, you will have about a 12” flame, so be aware !

Just put into the bottom of your volcano stove, with the cup in the top, fill with water, and wait about five minutes.

How long it will take outside, I don’t know, as I do not have a garden, and the neighbours think I’m strange enough as it is LOL

Fireburner007.jpg

As you can see, it does have a very good flame on it !

Now, please be aware that the volcano stove WILL get very hot, so if you have to move it, use the wire bail, as I burned myself on the body, but not too bad Oooops :?

Fireburner008.jpg

In two minuets time, the water is warm, and just starting to bubble.

Fireburner010.jpg

Starting to get steam !

Fireburner011.jpg

And now it’s time for a cuppa, tea or coffee, the choice is yours :cool:

The meths lasted for the full boil time, and all you are left with is a small amount of ash in the infuser.

I hope this has been of use to you, and thanks for reading :D

Cap'n Badger

Maker
Jul 18, 2006
Port o' Cardiff
You could also tie string t' the end o' the tea strainer handle an' swing it around yer head 'juggler' style for those hippy nights around the campfire...lol
Nice one spikey....does it last longer ifin ye adds another cotton ball or two, or is three the max?

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
See what happens when you start thinking out of the box. Pack it in....you'll do yourself an injury!:red:

EDIT:

Are you allowed to drink Red Bull! Bet thats worth watching!!!!:lmao:
Simon

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
NIce one Spike :D :cool: I'd never have thought of that.

Wonder if vaseline soaked cotton wool pads woiuld work too....................think I'm going to have a play with my stove tomorrow :D

atb,
Toddy

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Impressive. So how long does the flame last for then; 3-5 minutes?

May have to drop my tea strainer, coton wool balls and a bottle of meths in the car for the trip to Middlewood!

Chris

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
I brought one of those tea thingys from a charity shop, I was about to make another bug catcher but now I think I will add it to my kit

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Oh, ANOTHER brilliant idea! That's me off to find a tea ball now - excellent thread. This forum is brilliant! If we all got together we could rule the world mwah hah haaaaa.

Anyone up for ruling the world?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
Regarding Post 7 and TODDY

Tried the vasaline pads and yes they work but...
I found the amount of smoke and smell that they gave off to be unacceptable. I am not against soot per say, but this was very fine i.e. it comes off easy and gets on things too much. I often use vaseline as a fire starter as it will light small sticks without going through the tinder stage.

I can see the advantage of using and handleing vaseline before its burning, as oppossed to meths, but for me the soot and smell was too much.

Just my 2p worth.

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
Have you tried Duraglit/Brasso/"supermarket own brand metal polishing cloth" as a fire lighter? Small, light, and goes from one spark.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I have just tried using an infuser with a chain stuffed with cotton wool soaked in meths in a Hexi stove heated up a half full Crusader pretty quick
kids enjoyed it as well
thanks for the inspiration

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE