TBS vs light my fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Hi everyone,
I've used and abused my ferro rod and I'm getting to the point of needing a new one. Has any one here used one of the TBS brand ferro rods? If so, are they any good? How do they compare to the swedish light my fire ones? I'd imagine there wouldn't be much in it but I'm curious to find out.
Cheers all

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Found my Light My Fire very hard metal. I like the softer mischmetal ones that make big sparkling globules the best.
Maybe they’ve changed, it’s been many years since I used a LMF.

[edit]Come to think of it, I think I did a review here on them when they changed :biggrin:

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
I think the one I've got (only one I've ever had) is a light my fire. It does indeed take a bit of pressure to get sparks although I find it very effective. But not like all the YouTube vids where they waft a knife at it and the entire sun comes out the end of the thing. I'd quite like to try something different.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I’ve posted this vid before, but it’s a good education on firesteels. Doesn’t answer your question because it’s impossible to know which metal you get in your firesteel.

Reactions: Suffolkrafter

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
That's a very good video, thanks for taking the time to post it. So it's all in the iron content really.

I only use about 10mm at the end,
Yes I tend to do the same, with thumb pressure on the scraper to start it off. I find it good for aiming at the tiny tinder piles that I invariably make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE