Tatonka Tarp Group Buy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Tarp Group Buy

This group buy is for Tatonka 3 x 3m Tarps. There are two versions, a cotton one and a polyester one.

The picture below shows the pack size. I used a pint mug for scale as I knew it would be something you could relate too :D

tarp1.jpg

The cotton version is on the left, the poly one in the middle and on the right is a Hennessy Hex Fly. Despite the way the picture looks I would say the volume of the polyester one is the same or slightly more than the Hex Fly.

Weight wise the Poly one is quoted as being 0.8 or 0.9 kg depending on which label you read. The cotton one is 1.3 kg. I have no reason to doubt these weights but could not check them. What I was able to find out was that the poly one is 50 grams heavier than the Hex Fly.

Coverage wise the area of the 3 x 3m tarp is pretty much the same as the Hex Fly but obviously in a different shape. The 3m length is still a bit neat for my liking when using a hammock but if pitched diagonally there is plenty of length.

tarp2.jpg

The fixings points on the corners are very secure and the load is spread well with the webbing so should not damage the tarp.

tarp3.jpg

The fixing points on the edges are also well designed and transfer the loading well.

tarp4.jpg

Obviously you do not have to set the tarp on the diagonal. Here it is set to shelter from the wind, with the aid of an Old Town Pack canoe to break the wind. The height of the ridge line is just under 6 foot so this could easily be reduced to give a bigger area. The full size thermarest is to give a sense of scale.

tarp6.jpg

You can also set it up with one tree or pole.

tarp7.jpg

As usual I am not making any money on this group buy it is just a chance to get a bulk discount on a product that I like. So what do I like about these Tarps? Well they are very well made and they are obviously built to take a lot of hard use.

Between the cotton one and the polyester one my preference is for the cotton one. It just feels better but it has to be remembered I am not carrying it on my back, it is just ballast in my canoe. If I was carrying all my gear I would probably still go for the cotton one unless I was covering large distances and wanted to keep weight to an absolute minimum. Cotton is also likely to be better near a fire although it is still not fire proof. The cotton is coated to make it waterproof. Not sure how long the coating lasts though. I would imagine re-coating should be straight forward, as it is with my Tentipi.

The tarp comes with a bag in the same material as the tarp ( a bit big for my liking) and four guy lines as sen in the pictures. The guy lines are yellow or orange (may even be other colours) and are plenty strong. Thicker than I would normally use but I will not hold that against them.

Price wise the best I have managed to find these retail in the UK is for £41 including postage. Even this compares well with the other options. A hex Fly would be £50 plus postage, my 3 x 2.5m from Kathmandu was over £50.

The group but price is

Cotton Tarp £34.00 ( £ 35.40 if paying by PayPal)

Polyester £32.50 ( £ 33.85 if paying by PayPal)

Both these prices include postage in the UK so they represent a saving of around 20%. The prices for the tarps are actually the same but the postage is more on the cotton one.

If you want to take advantage of this offer then post a message saying which type you want and how many. As soon as I am sure we have the required interest I will post payment details (pretty much the same as the Hammocks and every other Group Buy but I want to make sure we have the level of interest before I start taking money)

Barblade

Dec 15, 2005
Lancashire, UK
I deffo want/need a tarp (Magikelly has run all three group buys in time to empty my wallet it seems - :You_Rock_ BTW) but am a bit unsure what the pro's and cons of cotton vs. poly tarps are.

Does anyone have any idea if a cotton tarp (when cottonproofed) is likely to be as weatherproof as a poly tarp?

Thanks

Barblade

MagiKelly

Barblade said:
Does anyone have any idea if a cotton tarp (when cottonproofed) is likely to be as weatherproof as a poly tarp?

The cotton one will keep you just as dry as the poly one, no doubt about it. The cotton one has no real justifiable advantage. Both keep you dry and both can be punctured. The cotton one should wear better but may need re-proofed occasionally but there is just something about the cotton one I like more.

I think it is the same reason I prefer my trangia to a gas stove. The gas stove has always performed better for me and has never let me down but it is has still been replaced with my trangia. All because the trangia just feels better to use.

I should remind you that when wet the cotton one will gain weight as well so it may have more of a weight disadvantage. (still prefer it though :) )

MagiKelly

2 Lurch (1C & 1P)
1 Bardster (1C)
2 Angus Og (1C & 1P)
2 warthog1981 (2C)
1 hammy (1C)
1 Shankly (1P)
1 Dingo (1C)

10 so far which was the minimum order so that ensures we are definitely going ahead. Not that I really had any doubts.

As with the Hex Fly buy I am getting the supplier to post direct so I will check with him tomorrow how big a batch he wants me to pay for at a time, might see if there is any extra discount as well :)

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
a quick question, does it have a 'loop' for hanging in the middle? or do you just 'throw' it over a ridge line?

oh yes! - i'm interested in one too (if the 'bank' ;) agrees)....

MagiKelly

g4ghb said:
a quick question, does it have a 'loop' for hanging in the middle? or do you just 'throw' it over a ridge line?

oh yes! - i'm interested in one too (if the 'bank' ;) agrees)....

Yes it has a loop in the middle on top and on the underside there is a couple of velcro tabs that can also form a loop. I prefer the ridge line running under the tarp but it can go under the ridge line.

happy camper

Nomad
May 28, 2005
Scotland
hello :)
i'm going to need a couple of tarps to go with the other group buys you are kindly organising :You_Rock_ , I don't have any experience of sleeping in a hammock, so sorry if this a dumb question, but how does this shape and size of tarp perform with a hammock when compared to the hex-fly type design?
cheers :D

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It's an excellent sized tarp, the same size as my basha tent which will give you plenty of shelter, you can even use it as a tipi by having a central pole and pegging the sides down as well as a few other configurations....A good buy at these prices. Thanks MK for putting it together :You_Rock_

MagiKelly

Tony said:
Thanks MK for putting it together :You_Rock_
What can I say. I'm just a boy who just can't say no.

happy camper, as Tony's post suggests, yes the tarp is big enough for hammock use.

If pitched traditionally i.e. square it is okay but a bit neat size wise in my opionion at 3m along the ridge (still better than the hootchi at 2.7m). The hex fly is 3.5m along the ridge so better in that example for the hammock and enough to protect you in the worst of weathers BUT if pittched on the diagonal the tarp gives you 4.24m along the ridge witch is plenty and then some. This in many ways mimics the way hennessy tarps are pitched. I have to thank Wayland for convincing me of this set up.

So in short, yes it is suitable with hammocks, that is what I will be using it with.

2 Lurch (1C & 1P)
1 Bardster (1C)
2 Angus Og (1C & 1P)
2 warthog1981 (2C)
1 hammy (1C)
1 Shankly (1P)
1 Dingo (1C)
2 Pauli (1C & 1P)
1 beachlover (1C)
1 Phil562 (1C)

14 so far

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Having had problems with tarp length over a hammock at the last Scottish meet, I had to borrow a tarp off Magikelly that was 3m long in order to keep my feet dry :)

So I better buy myself one!

1 poly please! :D

P.S I'll have a spare 2x2.5m poly tarp once this one arrives if anyone wants to buy one -PM me for details...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE