Tatonka Group Buy Nr 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
Tarp Group Buy / Special Offer

This group buy is for Tatonka Tarps. This time there is a bigger range of sizes available. There are two versions of most sizes, a cotton one and a polyester one.

The picture below shows the pack size of the 3 x 3m one I used a pint mug for scale as I knew it would be something you could relate too
biggrin.gif

tarp1.jpg

The cotton version is on the left, the poly one in the middle and on the right is a Hennessy Hex Fly. Despite the way the picture looks I would say the volume of the polyester one is the same or slightly more than the Hex Fly.

Weight wise the Poly one is quoted as being 0.8 or 0.9 kg depending on which label you read. The cotton one is 1.3 kg. I have no reason to doubt these weights but could not check them. What I was able to find out was that the poly one is 50 grams heavier than the Hex Fly.
Coverage wise the area of the 3 x 3m tarp is pretty much the same as the Hex Fly but obviously in a different shape. The 3m length is still a bit neat for my liking when using a hammock but if pitched diagonally there is plenty of length.

tarp2.jpg

The fixings points on the corners are very secure and the load is spread well with the webbing so should not damage the tarp.

tarp3.jpg

The fixing points on the edges are also well designed and transfer the loading well.

tarp4.jpg

Obviously you do not have to set the tarp on the diagonal. Here it is set to shelter from the wind, with the aid of an Old Town Pack canoe to break the wind. The height of the ridge line is just under 6 foot so this could easily be reduced to give a bigger area. The full size thermarest is to give a sense of scale.

tarp6.jpg

You can also set it up with one tree or pole.

tarp7.jpg

As usual I am not making any money on this group buy it is just a chance to get a bulk discount on a product that I like. So what do I like about these Tarps? Well they are very well made and they are obviously built to take a lot of hard use.

Between the cotton one and the polyester one my preference is for the cotton one. It just feels better but it has to be remembered I am not carrying it on my back, it is just ballast in my canoe. If i was carrying all my gear I would probably still go for the cotton one unless I was covering large distances and wanted to keep weight to an absolute minimum. Cotton is also likely to be better near a fire although it is still not fire proof. The cotton is coated to make it waterproof. Not sure how long the coating lasts though. I would imagine re-coating should be straight forward, as it is with my Tentipi.

The tarp comes with a bag in the same material as the tarp ( a bit big for my liking) and four guy lines as sen in the pictures. The guy lines are yellow or orange (may even be other colours) and are plenty strong. Thicker than I would normally use but I will not hold that against them.
Price wise these have gone up since the first group buy but I still think it is a good deal

The group but prices are

Tarp 1 = 4.5 x 4.5m Cotton £66 and Poly £58
Tarp 2 = 3 x 3m £37.50 Cotton and Poly £33
Tarp 3 = 4 x 4m £55.00 Poly only
Tarp 4 = 3 x 4m £46.00 Cotton only

These prices include postage in the UK but are based on you sending me a cheque. I am more than happy to take paypal but you need to add £0.20 then 3.6% to the total order value to cover fees.

Also I should highlight that the cotton one is not 100% cotton but is still far more durable than the Poly one but not as heavy as a truly 100% cotton option.

If you want to take advantage of this offer then post a message here saying which one you want and how many. I will then get back to you with the payment details.

Reactions: mark a.

MagiKelly

Bloody Hell! That was quick. Have you all just been sitting here waiting for this?

Anyway so far

andyn 3x3 Cotton
Biddlesby 3x3 Cotton
Buckshot 3x3 one cotton and one poly.

4 so far. I will make up the PM with the payment options and send it off.

MagiKelly

andyn 3x3 Cotton
Biddlesby 3x3 Cotton
mark a. 3x3 Cotton

5 so far

Without giving the supplier any free advertising people will soon see that this is the same supplier that I used for the first group buy. Although different from the hammock supplier, Insect netting supplier and dry bags supplier. To head off any thoughts that I am just taking the easy route I can confirm that I spoke to another supplier as well for these tarps and got discounted prices for the tarps. It just happens that the original supplier was cheapest.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Hi John...

Managed to get on here before I go!

May I have a Tarp 4 = 3 x 4m £46.00 Cotton rather than a 3x3? :rolleyes:

Better suited to my hammock, which, btw, I tried for the first time last night....

SOOOOO Comfortable!!! :beerchug:

According to my maths this should work out as £47.86 as I'll be paying with Paypal?

Thanks again!

Phil

MagiKelly

andyn 3x3 Cotton
Biddlesby 3x3 Cotton
mark a. 3x3 Cotton
HuBBa 3x3 Poly
richeadon 3x3 Cotton
PhilParry 3 x 4m Cotton
Monkey 3x3 Cotton

9 so far plus 2 on SotP

(the minimum order was 10 but I was sure that was going to be no problem)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE