Tarp, Which one?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Evening chaps,

I'm in need of a new tarp - embarrassingly i tripped over my guy line and ripped my old one.

I have a DD Travel Hammock and did have a DD tarp (3x3), just wondering if anyone had any other recommendations?

I'm sure this question has been done to death many times, so maybe someone could point me to a previous thread that would also be cool.

What about hex tarps with a hammock - just a thought!

Cheers

James

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
MagiKelly's SOTP nylon tarp is a good bit of kit, I like my DD 3x3 for tramping by foot but for canoe camping I think I prefer the extra length of the 4.5 x 3.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Another vote for an andywinkk tarp 4 x 4.5 for car camping. For something a bit lighter my Decathalon 3 x 3 Tarp is ideal :)

Is your tarp beyond repair then James?

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
it's quite a long, straight rip. I'm sure it could be repaired but i would always have that niggling doubt about whether it would be strong enough in higher winds.

I it was any other piece of equipment i would be happy to chance it, but when it's the one that keeps me dry i'd rather be sure.

Nothing to stop me fixing it and having it a s a backup though :eek:) Any recommended fixes?

Cheers

James

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
How does Andy's big tarps compare with MagicKelly's? I recently got myself a large DD and it has developed little holes in it. I will be telling DD this week and giving them an opportunity to talk about it, so I can't complain yet..:slap: :slap: :lmao:

Which of these is the heaviest? Most likely to survive a winter's camping? I suppose the price might be a consideration too.

Many thanks,
G

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
it's quite a long, straight rip. I'm sure it could be repaired but i would always have that niggling doubt about whether it would be strong enough in higher winds.

I it was any other piece of equipment i would be happy to chance it, but when it's the one that keeps me dry i'd rather be sure.

Nothing to stop me fixing it and having it a s a backup though :eek:) Any recommended fixes?

Cheers

James

If it's a nice straight rip then sew it up using a reinforcing strip. To waterproof the joint if you've got any clear silicone tile sealant that does a grand job.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
MagiKelly's SOTP nylon tarp is a good bit of kit, I like my DD 3x3 for tramping by foot but for canoe camping I think I prefer the extra length of the 4.5 x 3.

The SotP ones are 4 x 3.3m (a size chosen to suit hammocking but still be great for bivi etc) not 4.5 x 3m You will also find almost all 4.5 x 3m tarps are actually 4.5 x 2.85m which may or may not effect your choice.

There are plans for a polycotton version which would take loads of punishment but I am still gauging interest in these at the moment before an order is placed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The SotP ones are 4 x 3.3m (a size chosen to suit hammocking but still be great for bivi etc) not 4.5 x 3m You will also find almost all 4.5 x 3m tarps are actually 4.5 x 2.85m which may or may not effect your choice.

There are plans for a polycotton version which would take loads of punishment but I am still gauging interest in these at the moment before an order is placed.

Sorry John, It just seems soooo big when you're under it.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
The polycotton ones will be about £20 more expensive and will last longer. Whether it is worth it or not will depend on how much that extra 1.5kg plays on your back. For me I do prefer the polycotton. It pitches better and is more spark resistant.

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
John, i think your tarps look great, but the material is a little on the heavy side for my needs.

All of my kit has to fit into one rucksack & travel with me. The 3x3 DD that i had was good, now wondering whether the 4.5 x 3m XL tarp is a better size - i intend going out over winter and have seen some nice pics with the tarp ends "pinned in" to keep the wind out.

I still like the look of a hex shaped tarp too :eek:I

Choices, choices...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE