Tarp tent

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
[video=youtube;FjtNkJCEREw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjtNkJCEREw[/video]

Has anyone tried this setup ? If yes maybe can you tell me measurements of the pole needed ? because I have to carve it in the woods.
Also will it fit two guys ? I'm 1.93 will I fit ?
thanks

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
The size of the pole will depend on the size of the tarp, I use a pole about 4ft 6 ins(I can only count in old money) for my tarp which is a 3x3, better to cut the pole a bit bigger then trim it to size, it's easier to take some off than to add it on, I also round the top of the pole to prevent it going through the tarp, I also wrap a rag around the top of the pole to act as a sort of cushion, again to prevent damage, you can also place a stone or ball at the point the pole will be, then tie it with cord, from the outside to give the pole something to rest on, or you could carry an old tennis ball with a slit in it, and place the pole into the slit, and when pushed against the tarp it wont damage it.again the size of the tarp will determine whether its big enough for two people, and how much gear you will need to store inside, but you should be ok with 2 people.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
If I remember right you have the DD tarp, you don't need a pole, use the tie outs and string it from a branch, loads of videos on youtube for it,and yes, I have done it :)

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
Used the setup, works pretty well. I just used my hiking poles, and it was perfect. About 140 cm.

As Fadcode said, be sure to put something (scarf, shemaug, spare tshirt) where you put the pole to protect the tarp. You're best to put it where it's reinforced too for the DD tarps.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I guess you could set it up at home, trim a pole to size then make a note of the ideal length required. you could take a bit of string the right length to use as a measure or measure the stick against yourself i.e. chin high or whatever, to cut the branch in the woods.

Mike313

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
South East
I guess you could set it up at home, trim a pole to size then make a note of the ideal length required. you could take a bit of string the right length to use as a measure or measure the stick against yourself i.e. chin high or whatever, to cut the branch in the woods.

I like the string idea. Maybe use a piece of paracord or bank line that you intend to use with the tarp anyway, and tie two knots in it to give you the correct length. That way you are not carrying anything extra.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
You don't really need a string, you can always adjust the pitch a bit when you're putting it up. A hiking pole is handy for that since you can just slide it to the right length, no matter if it's a bit too low or a bit to high with how you placed your pegs (within reason ofcource). If you need it to be lower, just place the front pegs wider, higher and you place them closer together. Unless it's really bad weather though, i prefer to use my tarp in a leanto configuration. Again using 2 hiking poles on the sides, but you can just use a ridgeline if you want, or sticks you found. I use hiking poles since the places we can legally camp for free, you don't go cutting the place up and there aren't really any good places to put a ridgeline. Always on somekind of meadow with tent platforms as a primary pitching location. Luckily you can set up close to them on the grass too, but just no place to put ridgelines if you want to stay legal :p.

The biggest "problem" with the setup is that you can easily get quite a lot of condensation, which is why i prefer the leanto unless really needed.

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I use this set up quite a lot. I use a random branch cut and trimmed in the forest. I will also carry half a tennis ball to act as a protective cap for the branch. I have spent many nights in this design. As for the hight of the pole, I will make it 5 ft tall and trim if required or push the base of the branch into the ground.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE