tarp setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
hi folks,

i have recently purchased a tarp and i am wondering what ( in your opinion ) is the best setup.

eg flying V or lean to etc....

thanks

bushcraftsman

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Depends a bit on the weather.

Flying V will be good in heavy rain, if it's fair then you can angle it to favour your fire.

Positioning is also dependent on wind direction.

You might have to alter it if it's variable conditions.

I like to (if fair) just set it in the V ready for night and sit out with the fire or stove.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It depends upon many factors, to name but a few...

• ground or tree dwelling
  • are there trees?
  • weather conditions

I would practice putting up the tarp in as many ways as possible, that way you will always be able to suit your shelter to the conditions / area that you are in.

Sorry if that doesn't really help, so I have put a link to good article on the topic below....

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/index.php/Skills-Basic/Tarps-Benefits-and-Basic-Instructions.html

Simon

HammockHog

May 1, 2018
South England
I am very unfamiliar with the Flying V, if there is heavy rain with high wind , does the rain stay out alright or does it make its way in the very open front?
Thanks,
Hog

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Flying V, Diamond fly, Plough point, can give you shelter on three sides, it's my go to configuration. Very quick and easy to set up, or move if needed.
If the prevailing weather changes 180 degrees, you can simply drop the front, then lift the back, if you are using a pole. If you are in the woods the tree you tie the front to, will give a measure of protection.
Just set the back to the wind.

IMG_20170422_165810.jpg

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I'm a hammock camper, and go for a simple A with a continuous ridgeline above with the tarp crabbed onto prussic loops. I tend to setup pretty high as I like a view and to be able to stand easily under the tarp - even raise a couple of corners with long sticks sourced at site. But if weather is bad the just lower the whole lot and have steeper sides, sometimes pull the corners in to create doors.

I have a TW Sargasso tarp 2.5m x 3.9m. What tarp do you have?

edit
/////

I've just noticed the date of the OP :)

Last edited:

HammockHog

May 1, 2018
South England
I'm a hammock camper, and go for a simple A with a continuous ridgeline above with the tarp crabbed onto prussic loops. I tend to setup pretty high as I like a view and to be able to stand easily under the tarp - even raise a couple of corners with long sticks sourced at site. But if weather is bad the just lower the whole lot and have steeper sides, sometimes pull the corners in to create doors.

I have a TW Sargasso tarp 2.5m x 3.9m. What tarp do you have?

edit
/////

I've just noticed the date of the OP :)
I use a DD 3x3 tarp so this should work. As a hammock camper who sometimes likes to go to ground this sounds amazing, thanks
Hog

Last edited:

HammockHog

May 1, 2018
South England
Flying V, Diamond fly, Plough point, can give you shelter on three sides, it's my go to configuration. Very quick and easy to set up, or move if needed.
If the prevailing weather changes 180 degrees, you can simply drop the front, then lift the back, if you are using a pole. If you are in the woods the tree you tie the front to, will give a measure of protection.
Just set the back to the wind.

View attachment 48879
I am amazed by how fast this thread gets replied to since last post before mine was 2008, thanks for the image and info, I will try using this!!
Hog

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I use a DD 3x3 tarp so this should work. As a hammock camper who sometimes likes to go to ground this sounds amazing, thanks
Hog

DD 3x3 on the diagonal. Nice to be able to see out, and extra head and feet cover.

That’s another 3x3 up the back, it was blowing hard and cold that evening.

B0549_F89-_F9_C1-408_D-_A1_D2-_C7_E5_F5_D7_BA93.jpg

10_C87676-_BDA1-487_A-8_A5_A-8367_A0491235.jpg

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I have tried 'hammocking' but am not a fan - its either full of bugs, or, its closed up and the condensation is bad.

I thought it would be weight saving but its not (for me)

My 3x3 DD tarp weights 1030g (with guy lines)
My hammock weighs 650g
An underblanket / quilt weighs ?????
Straps, ropes etc ????

My two-man tent weighs in total (poles, ground sheet, pegs, fly-sheet and tent) at 1.86Kg
An extra groundsheet (footprint) weighs 230g

A tarp may be versatile and nice to have a blow of fresh air on a Summer evening but overall its a 'bug-proof' tent for me.

Other opinions are available.

Reactions: HammockHog

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Light is a Snugpack Special Forces bivvy bag (340g) and a Decathlon Solognac Rainponcho Glenarm 100 (275g) where you attach the necessary 6 loops to tension it.

A german army folding mat weights 425g.

And the Snugpack SF1 Sleeping bag 1030g.

Most times you can let the rain suit at home, if you use this equipment.

Every larger tarp set up is heavier, off course.

Don't watch to many videos from Florida!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have tried 'hammocking' but am not a fan - its either full of bugs, or, its closed up and the condensation is bad.

I thought it would be weight saving but its not (for me)

My 3x3 DD tarp weights 1030g (with guy lines)
My hammock weighs 650g
An underblanket / quilt weighs ?????
Straps, ropes etc ????

My two-man tent weighs in total (poles, ground sheet, pegs, fly-sheet and tent) at 1.86Kg
An extra groundsheet (footprint) weighs 230g

A tarp may be versatile and nice to have a blow of fresh air on a Summer evening but overall its a 'bug-proof' tent for me.

Other opinions are available.

Only addressing the first sentence because weights will vary due to conditions. My hammocks are fitted with full zip bug nets which are kept closed until I want to get in. They give excellent ventilation and also help to diffuse wind blow. I’ve never had any condensation in a hammock. One of the DD hammocks is prone to it due to the waterproof bottom layer, but most don’t have the ability to double as bivi bags.

My hammocks have a double layer beneath, allowing a partially inflated self inflating mat to be secured in the envelope, so no quilt or underquilt needed. The DD lightweight tarp can be fitted low or high, diagonal or A style.

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Only addressing the first sentence because weights will vary due to conditions. My hammocks are fitted with full zip bug nets which are kept closed until I want to get in. They give excellent ventilation and also help to diffuse wind blow. I’ve never had any condensation in a hammock. One of the DD hammocks is prone to it due to the waterproof bottom layer, but most don’t have the ability to double as bivi bags.

My hammocks have a double layer beneath, allowing a partially inflated self inflating mat to be secured in the envelope, so no quilt or underquilt needed. The DD lightweight tarp can be fitted low or high, diagonal or A style.

Sounds a lot like my Hennessy hammock, and my experiences with hammocking. Once you get the 'hang' of it, or rather once you get the hang of the hammock right then it's by far the most comfortable nights sleep to be had camping. I've also not had a problem with insects or condensation. The best thing though is the panorama views possible, like having a see through tent...

HammockHog

May 1, 2018
South England
DD 3x3 on the diagonal. Nice to be able to see out, and extra head and feet cover.

That’s another 3x3 up the back, it was blowing hard and cold that evening.

B0549_F89-_F9_C1-408_D-_A1_D2-_C7_E5_F5_D7_BA93.jpg

10_C87676-_BDA1-487_A-8_A5_A-8367_A0491235.jpg
Nice! I will try this next time I go out I think as I will bring the hammock and this will allow space for a MummyPod

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I discovered, that Decathlon offers a green Hammock for 10 € and a Tarp 290x285 cm (560g) for 25 € in olive green.

I think about buying this for the summer in the south of France. Do you think, that fits Together well?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE