Tarp Repairs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
One of my dogs jumped on my tarp this weekend and ripped out a brass eyelet and put a small hole in the centre of the tarp. :( Any idea where I could get it repaired? I'm based in Huddersfield and would sooner repair as its actually a family heirloom :D

Cheers

Andrew

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
What is the tarp made from?

For plastic-like materials I cut out a patch an 2 inches wider than the hole and glue it in place (the 2 inch overlap adds the necessary strength). Depending on the material and tension the material will be under, it might be useful to also use a sewing machine to stitch lines in a cross pattern to increase the strength. Because the eyelet is usually under a lot of tension, I think it better to replace the whole lot, i.e. do as above adding a new eyelet to the patch. For canvas and "cotton" type material, you need to seem the patch first so it does not frey (spelling?). There are a mass of people who could do it for you, cost will be variable, look under "sewing" or "tailor". For woven fabrics, a good tailor will do an excellent repair.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
outdoorcode said:
One of my dogs jumped on my tarp this weekend and ripped out a brass eyelet and put a small hole in the centre of the tarp. :( Any idea where I could get it repaired? I'm based in Huddersfield and would sooner repair as its actually a family heirloom :D

Cheers

Andrew

What's your tarp made from? If it's a cotton canvas one then a good patch sewn on with some fabric seal will work well and allow you to insert a new eyelet where the old one came out too. If it's a man made fabric, then you need to source a compatible patching material and a suitable seam sealant. Outdoors or sailing suppliers ought to be able to help. What size is the eyelet? if you only need one it's possible I've got something suitable in an already opened packet, I go through dozens of the things depending on what I'm making.

Cheers,
Toddy

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
It is a canvas type piccy and I have just contacted a couple of tent repair companies but prices ranged from £20 - £55 ! for 2 eyelets & 1 patch :eek: with a timescale of 10days to 3-4 weeks to do. As one of my dogs is having pups in a few weeks I wanted it doing fairly quickly as I can't can't take her camping with pups in tow :eek:

So decided as my mums a sewing machinist (she makes shrouds.... as in for coffins :D ) I'm going to get her to have a go, using an old canvas tent in the loft for the patch and I will buy an eyelet set from somewhere.;

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
It should work fine, just make sure she runs a few stitch lines from one end of the patch, over the hole, to the other end of the patch, then do the same 90 degrees to the first stitch lines to make a cross hatch pattern, this will reinforce the patch and hole, and stop the canvas weave stretching out of proportion. I noticed from the piccie you have it quite low, and at a shallow angle. Do you get problems with leaks if you touch the inside of the canvas when it is raining?

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I set it up low when I'm only going to be sleeping/reading a book under it.
I find it keeps the wind off and that smoke tends not to go through as much if 3 sides are fairly closed off as there's no through draft for the smoke.
I was under it this weekend and it rained most of Saturday night, but I (and the dogs) were still dry. Its damp to touch inside so I probably would be wet if I touched it but its pretty big so not much of a problem.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I remember somebody posted a site that showed a multitude of different ways of setting up a tarp, but I can't remember who it was or what the site was called. Give it a while and somebody will be able to tell you!!

My setups depend on the area I am in. If there is a dry stone wall, I may consider a lean-to in nice weather. If it's howling, I'll pitch it low, not as low as yours, but not much higher either. I would stick my bergen at the bottom end if it's not that bad but at the entrance if it is really bad to try and stop the wind getting in. The next time I get the opportunity, I intend to set it up with a corner at the foot end and the two edges fixed to the floor, then the opposite corner to the foot attatched to a tree, just to see what happens!!.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE