Tarp modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Need some advice/opinions.
I want to put in a couple of loops on the inside of my tarp.
They'll be for suspending a mozzie net and also a (lightweight) lantern.
What's the best way of doing this?
Ideally, I'd like to stitch the loops, for strength. But I'm worried about compromising the waterproofing. Are there anyways of making waterproof stitches?
I was also thinking of using self-adhesive velcro. Do you think that would be man enough to hold the weight?
What do you think of these ideas, or can you suggest others?

Cheers.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Cheers, but the problem with a ridgeline beneath the tarp is if it rains then the rain wicks into the paracord and comes inside, running down whatever is suspended from the cord.
And anyway, I use bungees.
Ridgeline beneath the tarp is a non-starter for me.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
You can always put drip lines on the under tarp line, failing that if its for using with a hammock you could run the ridgeline off the ends of the hammock and under the mossie net like the Woodlore system uses.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I think a second line under the tarp is the way to go, I used one for a couple of years for my underblanket suspension and never had any issues with rain getting in. You could add a spilt ring/keyring loop into the equation at either end, just under the tarp edge, to act as drip rings. They wouldn't need to be anything special as there wouldn't be much weight on it. To be honest though I doubt they're really needed on a mossie net.

Another way would be to attach loop on the underside of the existing outer loops, it should be double or treble thickness anyway so will hold a stitch better. A bit of bathroom silicone thinned down with white spirit makes a really good inexpensive seam sealer.

Would you be able to use the end loops of your tarp to hang something from, maybe a short length of shock cord with a mini karabiner to clip your net onto ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd go with the line under the tarp for ease, I dont think sewing attachment points on will give any great benefit. When the wind is howling, it will move the bug net thats attached to it, this would annoy me.

However, lots do use sewn on attachments and they are not too hard to do. Rubber O rings sewn to the tarp, with mitten hooks on the bug net is a good way to go if you go down this route. I'd sew the ring to a circular piece of waterproof ripstop, then sew the circle onto the tarp, and seam seal the stitches.

hoppinmad

Forager
Dec 7, 2009
Swansea Valley
Hi
You could try 3 layer seam tape [iron on..low wool setting] and a few d rings, the 3 layer stuff is quite strong and will hold..you can get the stuff from this site
http://www.profabrics.co.uk/index.php
not sure if it will take on silnylon, but used it to repair a ground sheet and to fasten rings on old tent material to make a toe print for my tent
regards
stu

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Just cover the seams with a mix of silicone and white-spirit (not sure about UK names for those).

EDIT: put just a thin layer, apply with a brush; let dry completely before folding away.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE