Tarp material to make snakeskins

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Can anyone point me in the direction of some dark green lightweight tarp fabric? I want to make some snakeskins for my new hammock. It's bigger than DD or Hennessy so needs a custom sheath.

I'm sure someone mentioned a tarpmaker on here somewhere, maybe they could even design and sew them for me, I'm not a born seamstress! For a fee of course!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody a while back used issue bergen liners and as they are a very slippery material they will glide over your hammock with ease. You should be able to pick them up incredibly cheap.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
Somebody a while back used issue bergen liners and as they are a very slippery material they will glide over your hammock with ease. You should be able to pick them up incredibly cheap.

Yep there Silnylon, goodstuff though reported as difficult to sew due to the thickness but ive not tried myself.

If you decided to procure professional services Andy wink is the man to speak to or TopKnot makes some great stuff for hinself not sure if he seams for others

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have the commercial Snake Skins in Sil-Nylon, and I can't say that I think all that much of them. The idea of Snake-Skins to swallow your hammock is great, and I fancy making up another set that actually fits (I have the Hennessey Under Cover and the skins won't swallow the tarp and UC at the same time).

However, from my point of view, the use of sil-nylon is rubbish.

Sure, its slippery, but at the expense of durability, at some point stitching on both the snake skins and on the undercover has started to come adrift. Worse, the stuff is not waterproof at all. Water resistant, but not enough that you can carry the packed hammock on the outside of your pack, or even on the inside, unless wrapped in a drybag. :drive:

So, the only reason to use sil-nylon is for it to be slippery. If you want to keep the hammock dry, you need something better. I am looking at PU coated nylon perhaps.

I haven't looked beyond shopping at Pointnorth (http://www.profabrics.co.uk/)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Chris if you are happy to make these up for yourself, pm me and I'll send you down some olive green ripstop parachute nylon. It's as tough as old boots, light as a feather and it will take waterproofing. It's the stuff I repair my parachute with and it sews with a domestic sewing machine.

cheers,
M

p.s. Cross post with Gailainne..........that's the fellow I bought this stuff from, about a £ a metre iirc. Thanks Stephen I was looking for the link :)

harryhaller

Settler
Dec 3, 2008
Bruxelles, Belgium
Gailainne and Toddy - great stuff:You_Rock_

I have a straw hat in chinese/vietnamese style which is great in the sun because it lets the air through. I like it so much I want to use it in the rain because as a spectacle wearer I need hats with a wide rim. So I was looking for a waterproof cover (like a old-fashioned bath or shower cap) to fix over the hat. It also has the right tall slope for heavy downpours.

Your link has pointed me to the right material.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Thanks for the input all. I've got in contact with Andywink who I'm confident will be able to sort me out. I'm no seamer and would rather have someone sew them for me. One for the hammock and one for the tarp.

Toddy I'll PM you about the parachute material if Andywink thinks it would make a good skin.

With regards to waterproofness, I'm not bothered. In fact the snakeskin tutorial that I read on Hammck Forums uses mosquito mesh, so that a damp tarp and hammock can dry out if strapped to a pack. I think this may snag and pick up leaf litter, so silnylon, lightweight tarp fabric or parachute silk are my favourite materials so far. The skins are just for easy set-up and takedown. I tried the other day in howling wind and had a job getting it back in the bag, and there are leaves and twigs everywhere. Then I watched a set-up vid and saw how the snakeskins make it so easy.

Gailainne, handy link, thanks.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Wrap a cotton t-shirt in sil-nylon and then set it in a puddle of water for a few hours. I don't believe that the shirt will not be wet. Sil-nylon is full of holes, it is not a coated fabric, its impregnated, hence water can be forced through the weave, particularly if there is something pressing up against it from one or both sides.

Thanks for the offer Toddy, but I reckon to keep going with what I have till I get some coated material. I want what ammounts to a dry-bag snake skin.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE