Tarp build

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fluoxetine

Aug 6, 2011
Wakefield
Looking to make a tarp. Got waterproof ripstop which is enough to cover me and be lightweight. Snap eyelets as well. But to make sure it does not come apart I need a few pointers on what I need to do with it so I can take it out for a few days this year.

So are there any videos that are out there. Placing tarp making just shows how to put it up. Constructing it from scratch with a video pointing to the making of one would be a help.

Reactions: Le Loup

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've never made one from scratch but this is how I would go about it.
I would turn all the edges under and sew them to strengthen them. You'll need someone with a sewing machine for that. Then I would strengthen any eyelet points with a bit of extra fabric sewn on at each point. I would use a seam sealant around the stitching on each of these.
Very simple realy.
Good luck and have fun with it. Glad to see someone making their own kit.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Jellyfish on Youtube. Has a play list of sewing a tarp
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCis_G8K3XHk0hyKBcdsckZw

I would not use the eyelets, unless I was passing them through webbing, or had fairly heavy reinforcing.

Rolled hem, so fold over, then fold over again, and stitch down. Rolled hem foot helps, but not required.

If you have a sewn ridge then some variation of a flat felled or French seam
https://www.hammockforums.net/forum...-ridge-lines-preferred-types-and-seam-sealing

Hammock forum is a good place to look, since they have a lot of DIYers and a whole DIY forum.

You need pins. I hate pinning things together, but with slithery fabric, you really do need to. Just be sure that the pin holes are inside the seam allowance, not going to leave holes in the tarp!

Reinforcing the corners, if you sew on the bias, diagonally, the fabric will stretch and move. You can mitigate some of this by putting tissue paper under the seam for the sewing machine dogs to get some traction, but I still haven't worked out how to manage this stretch satisfactorily.

Best of luck!

Chris

Reactions: Woody girl

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I would attach loops and no eyelets. Eyelets are always a weak point and you can't repair them on a trekking tour.

Hilleberg attaches steel rings at short loops.
I think, that's the best.

fluoxetine

Aug 6, 2011
Wakefield
I would attach loops and no eyelets. Eyelets are always a weak point and you can't repair them on a trekking tour.

Hilleberg attaches steel rings at short loops.
I think, that's the best.

Was thinking of placing webbing on the points where the eyelets are. Maybe that would solve some problems. But seam glue will be needed and another thing to buy.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
???

What do you mean, Janne?

Do you recommend to use a musket bullet instead of eyelets, loops or loops and rings?

A bit old fashioned in my opinion, but why not?

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I do not know what you call ot.
You take an oblong piece of wood ( round works well too) that has no harp edges, place inside a corner, fold fabric over, then tie a length of line and enclose. Do not either forget to make a loop in the line, or wrap the length of line a couple of times through a metal eyelet.

( not sure the names are correct, sorry!)

Looking to make a tarp. Got waterproof ripstop which is enough to cover me and be lightweight. Snap eyelets as well. But to make sure it does not come apart I need a few pointers on what I need to do with it so I can take it out for a few days this year.

So are there any videos that are out there. Placing tarp making just shows how to put it up. Constructing it from scratch with a video pointing to the making of one would be a help.

I double folded all the raw edges & stitched them with linen thread. I tied leather ties to each corner. Finished.
Keith.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE