Tarp advice - Canvas vs. Vinyl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

Just wondering which type is better and why? And if you could give some advice on choosing a good tarp which is durable and lasts long, that would be great. Many thanks.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I use a DD 3mx3m tarp which is at the budget end of the market but has served me well over a few years.

Canvas tarps are tougher but much heavier than nylon ones and they take much longer to dry. That said I have been hankering after one recently.

almac

Forager
Oct 13, 2010
Okanagan, BC CANADA
Canvas is very durable, and can withstand sparks from your fire. Canvas is very heavy!
Nylon, and pretty much anything synthetic might be a lot lighter, but they are not very forgiving and damage by sparks very easily.

if you are 'car camping' and don't have to carry long distances, i'd buy a canvas.
if you're backpacking, buy a nylon.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I used to use the DD3x3 and liked it but then moved onto the Tatonka TC technical cotton and think it a vast improvement.
But if I had to carry it a long way I would go back to a lightweight nylon type.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
I do not intend to carry it, just trying to use around the back garden. So canvas tarp should be more durable and suitable. They seem more expensive too when I quickly googled. Many thanks for your info and advice. cheers.

jellyfinger

Oct 1, 2013
United Kingdom
Although the nylon tarps can become pin holed with sparks from a fire, Canvas can smolder for ages and then catch light. Ironically I have had this happen after trying to light charcloth for about an hour and using my lighter instead.

rg598

Native
Both materials will fail on you. They just get damaged a bit differently. For example, if you don't take the time to properly dry out a canvas tarp, in very short order you will start to see it rot. Whatever the material, you have to know what damages it and take care of it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE