Taking off the rubbery plastic handle of a mora knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Tape up the blade then run a hacksaw down the side of the tang. Should take all of 5 minutes max.

Burning it off will be incredibly messy and smelly and could damage the temper of the blade if done badly

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
aye same as above is the best. I've done similar with hammer and chisel, but you then have to make sure the blade is seated inside a wooden block or sheath etc to stop any nasty surprises. much safer to go with the saw!

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I battoned one off once like an utter Darwin Award candidate, took one side off in 2 whacks, turned my attention to the remaining scale/side and gave it a good belt with blade point up hilt on a black n decker workmate and a Mora clipper with a rubber mallet as my battoning kiy, scale came clean off and the naked blade shot up and went over my left shoulder missing my head by about 8 inches, not a recommended technique but it was quick

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I did try that last week. As the 'useful' blade goes a few mm into the handle, I did scratch it slightly. Could be polished out though.
I guess my angle was to much towards the tang.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
No heat. Mechanical take down. I like the saw concept.
What's next for a handle? Does the blade tang have rivet holes?

Mora uses the 2-piece "cutlery rivets," that you can tap snug again if you're rough enough to loosen them.
I never use them on crooked knives. Buck naked, dry whipping on the surface.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Thanks for that guys. Will saw it off. Now I have to go find some wood, probably a birch burl and do the firesteel at the same time. Thanks again

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If you damage the knife go for as has been said.

If not why not just buy a blank blade as the tang will be much better suited to putting a handle on

A blank
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/lauri-carbon-blank-95mm.htm
http://www.greenmanbushcraft.co.uk/cutting-tools/mora-classic-original-no2-blade-blank.htm

Mora 780 blade by Alf Branch, on Flickr

The blade by Alf Branch, on Flickr

I did make a knife from that blade but it was modded as I wanted a blade to suit my Scouts a bit better

Broken Mora handle and reground blade by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
The cutouts on the tang are of different sizes in different Mora and Frosts blades, also the tangs are a different length.
I have not (yet) seen that short tang on the pictures below.
Yes, easier to order only blades from a place like Brisa in Finland.

But not worth the shipping and duty if you only order one or two blades? Or if you buy the whole knives locally at a fair price?

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Correction: if you buy from Finland you will not pay any duty in UK. Both members in EU. Stupid me.......

I had my first supply lot shipped to Norway (outside EU ) and the second one home to Cayman, hence the duty.

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
The cutouts on the tang are of different sizes in different Mora and Frosts blades, also the tangs are a different length.
I have not (yet) seen that short tang on the pictures below.
Yes, easier to order only blades from a place like Brisa in Finland.

But not worth the shipping and duty if you only order one or two blades? Or if you buy the whole knives locally at a fair price?

The links attached were for a UK supplier

And of those two, I would suggest te Karesuando to start with. Lauri blades are more tricky to fit.

I thinks the factory bolster is quite easy look here
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93223

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I know, Branco, but Brisa has a far larger range and in stock.

I tried to buy various things from that company, but for some reason they run out of stock regurrarly so I buy from Finland instead.

The English company have some excellent Scandinavian products though!

Last edited:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Tape up the blade then run a hacksaw down the side of the tang. Should take all of 5 minutes max.

Burning it off will be incredibly messy and smelly and could damage the temper of the blade if done badly

How does taping the blade make it safe?

Last edited by a moderator:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
It's hard for me to imagine the tape stopping your hand from being cut. I can imagine how it would help a little.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE