Taking live game with you to the bush

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I know this sounds a little backwards. The object is to go to the bush and take the game there. I live in Brazil, however, and hunting is banned here.

When I take people out to teach bushcraft/wilderness survival I often take live (domestic) quail along to give them practice in handling live animals for food. Here this is perfectly legal. Quail are sold for about a dollar each and they stay fresh right up until dinnertime. I think it is realistic enough if you also teach how to make a viable bird trap. I was wondering if anyone else did this sort of thing?

When I'm back in the US I do alot of hunting, but here I'm in the same boat as alot of you in dealing with severe restrictions on this aspect of wilderness living. Here is a short video I shot of the last time we took quail camping.

ARAPUCA BIRD TRAP

Mac

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Not that many years ago, 20ish if I'm honest, I was a Patrol Leader with Scouts. We had entered a "camping standards" competition and one of the requirements was to cook a meal using fresh ingredients.

One of the judges came around to our pitch and asked what we having, and we said chicken. It being a hot summers day, he asked to see the chicken to make sure it was stored correctly. We all pointed at the large box in the shade of a drystone wall. He went mad saying that we would all get food poisoning if we kept chicken like that!

You should of seen his face when he opened the box and the chicken clucked at him! Later in the day he brought an axe to kill the chicken, but we didn't use it as I had been taught how to neck them by my Dad. The judge learnt something that day!

I still smile when I remember his face!

Simon

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
Good story. I know the US Airforce used to isse a live rabit for the solo part of the survival training. Lots of those rabbits actually survived from what I hear. Guys would keep them to have someone to keep them company.

I remember seeing somewhere a photo of South Vietnamese infantry and half of them had live chickens tied to their packs. I imagine that was a very common thing for marching armies of the past. Mac

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE