Taking kit abroad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom89

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
England
Hi, I'm going to South Africa and I'm taking some of my kit with me which includes my knife. Is there anything you have to do like register them etc to take them on the plane (in the luggage obviously)? Cheers

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I often flew to SA with a Mora and a Leatherman in my bag - if it is in hold luggage you should not have a problem:)

Smokin

Sep 6, 2011
England
The only time I've been asked about a weapon was when I flew to America. I just told the lady it was in my luggage and that was the end of it. I expected it to be a problem when she asked but it seems they only care about what's in your hand luggage.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi, I'm going to South Africa and I'm taking some of my kit with me which includes my knife. Is there anything you have to do like register them etc to take them on the plane (in the luggage obviously)? Cheers

Beautiful country. I went years ago to stay with/visit family. Always wanted to go back on a camping trip, Think I may try and get out there this year :)

Whereabouts you going?

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
It may not be necessary but could be worth checking out, but with current situations going on in Africa and Middle East, it might be advisable not to travel with any blatant military equipment and clothing like camouflage clothing and equipment.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland

Pack it into your hold luggage, it is knife, not a weapon, you have nothing to worry about.

Make sure it is well packed and won't be the first thing that falls onto the table if your bag is picked out for inspection at customs, maybe stick it into a sealed jiffy bag, inside a sleeping bag or rolled up jumper type etc..

Edited to add:

I am presuming you are taking some type of 'bushcraft' type knife, or Mora or such. If you plan to travel with something that looks more 'weaponlike' in a plastic sheath attached to a military belt or pack then hope your plane doesn't have to make an unscheduled landing on the way down, that kind of thing could land you in a spot of bother.

FYI

The last time I was down there (Namibia) I took my Alan Wood Woodlore along with five Stainless Mora's to give to folk down there.

:)

Last edited:

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
All sensible advice.

Try not to look like a soldier or contractor, pack the knife well as suggested and you should have little in the way of issues.

SA is a great country, hope you enjoy it.

Regards.

Alan L.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE