Take Care

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
BCUK,

This used to be a place I enjoyed and got a lot out of. I`ve made mistakes and not been as clear in my meanings from time to time I`ll grant you.

I`m certainly not the highest poster on here by a good few hundred miles, but i have been continually making new friends through private messages and out into that place we keep talking about, the real world.

Now however it seems I cant make a comment without drawing needless insults from certain quarters and so this is just not something I need to put my efforts into anymore. Between being a Ranger (theres enough right there), student of Bushcraft, SAR volunteer, traditional woodworker, tracker, fiance, homeowner, and carer to a daft little dog called Scruffy(actually, thats more work than being a Ranger), BCUK is not something worth bothering with in the current atmosphere I`m subjected to and I dont think other members should have to put up with the bickering also.

Tony and the Mods, thanks for putting such a great site together.

All the very best for the future to each and every one of you.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Hi Fallow way,

On another forum I used to post on the main host used to chuck a bucket of water over everyone when it got a bit heated, and that was the end of it. Give it a couple of days and give it another go, you could always use the ignore button, just a thought.

LS

leon-1

Fallow way, a suggestion, switch off the reputation points in your user cp.

The way that they have been abused recently there is a good chance that they will be removed by Tony anyway.

As LS said also use the ignore facility, that is one of the reasons it is there.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Fallow Way,
Sorry to hear that you feel the way you do, I hope that you'll reconsider. I'm not entirely sure of the specific reasons for your feelings, but I know that at times I've been a bit thick skinned or thoughless, having read a post in a way that it is not intended - only to discover the proposed meaning later on in the thread, when I've thought better of posting an apology for fear of dredging up old ghosts.

In general, I find the members if this site to be helpfull and friendly, and I often feel as though I'm not able to contribute to the same level as others, Though I do try to make up for it when I can.

Don't let the actions of a small minority spoil you view of the vast majority who make this place a great as it is.

Ogri the trog

leon-1

leon-1 said:
Fallow way, a suggestion, switch off the reputation points in your user cp.

The way that they have been abused recently there is a good chance that they will be removed by Tony anyway.

As LS said also use the ignore facility, that is one of the reasons it is there.

It's been brought to my attention that the user cp no longer has the option to switch rep points off, my apologies for the misinformation.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm truly sorry that you feel this is the only way for you, and I do think that both LS and Ogri have made very valid points.
I hope that you will feel welcome to join in the conversation and activities some time in the future.
We'll miss you; you gave a lot of help and information to many of us.
ATB,
Mary

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Fallow Way said:
Now however it seems I cant make a comment without drawing needless insults from certain quarters

By that I presume you mean me? Don't leave on my account, so you and I are most likely never going to be best mates but that's hardly a reason to throw your teddy out the pram and leave.

If I bug you that much then do as LS says and put me on your ignor list, in fact how's about I'll ignor you and you ignor me, that way you don't have to play the victim/martyr and leave.

chris chris

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 25, 2004
keswick
FW- As Stuart says pm the mod guys if you have problem, Tone and the team that look after this place are very good keeping it in tune, I've enjoyed reading your input mate - keep it up.

Chris :)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I for one will miss you mate! - I know we have never met in the 'flesh' (and it is probably just as well!:lmao: ) but from some of our long and rambling discussions I feel I know you and think of you as one of my 'bush pals'

Its a shame you feel things have got out of hand and even though I guess you will never see this, I felt It should be said!

cheers mate! all the best! :(

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Fallow Way, I am sorry you feel you need to leave, and hope that you will think about coming back when things have cooled down.

Personally I don't see why you feel you need to leave, let alone make a public thing of it. I really haven't been following what posts you have been making in general, but it looks like you have had a difference of opinion with one, maybe two members. Out of several hundered that post regularly. That kind of thing is bound to happen, especially when you get people prepared to stick to their guns rather than retire from the debate.

So, go off and do other stuff for a while, put the people you don't want to talk to on your ignore list, or just ignore them! Leaving for good, if you like the forum otherwise, really is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.There have been some folks who quietly stopped posting, but they still read the forum occasionally and those of us that remember them hope that they will find time to join in again some day. To all intents and purposes they aren't here, but they didn't feel they needed to make a big thing of "leaving".

While on the subject of people leaving... This is the most well mannered forum I have EVER been on, but the moderators still get PMs every-so-often from people threatening to leave because some debate got out of hand, or for reasons that are never explained. After a while it gets wearysome trying to talk people into staying, explaining that you can't expect to get on and agree with everyone etc. After a while the temptation is just to say "Ok, bye bye then." :rolleyes: However, I don't think we have yet succumbed that one just yet :D

So. Fallow Way, Hope you don't go too far and that you find the time and inclination to come back one day. :sadwavey:
ATB and happy tracking.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Toddy said:
I'm truly sorry that you feel this is the only way for you, and I do think that both LS and Ogri have made very valid points.
I hope that you will feel welcome to join in the conversation and activities some time in the future.
We'll miss you; you gave a lot of help and information to many of us.
ATB,
Mary

Hi Toddy,

We had our fall out, but were still here, I have no bad feelings, I don't have many rep points either.... but I'm still here!!

Fallow, don't let it get you down, tomorrow is another day...

LS

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Fallow Way.
It is a loss to the forum and bushcraft in general for you to leave our camp fire in such circumstances.

Bushcrafters need to help and support one another and accept that not everyone shares their views about life.

I have trained in Ninjutsu all my adult life. I sometimes meet people at training that i don't like. its a shock as a fellow student we share the same values. i am certain there are people in bushcraft that don't like me. I can think of two ladies in particular who don't, they are entitled to their views. its a shame but thats life.

cultivate the friendships you have made on here and discount those that you do not get along with.

Do not cut yourself off from an excellant resource because of a personality clash.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
ludlowsurvivors said:
Hi Toddy,

We had our fall out, but were still here, I have no bad feelings, I don't have many rep points either.... but I'm still here!!

Fallow, don't let it get you down, tomorrow is another day...

LS

:D Those rep points *seem* such a good idea, but it's a two edged sword I'm afraid :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Rhodri

Forager
Nov 12, 2004
Suffolk
What a shame...

FW, I've read your posts with great interest over the years - you're a valued member of this place.

It's a pity you feel the need to give it a rest. But, I think when someone feels they get less out than they put into a discussion or two it can be a bit wearing. So I understand your position entirely.

Most of us have to put up with pi**ing contests in other parts of our life - we don't need them here as well. I only come here to learn and enjoy myself...

Hope you change your mind ;)

Good luck,
Rod

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Come on FW,life really is too short to take bickering on a forum seriously. :rolleyes:

It is very easy to take the wrong meaning from a post,on both sides.

The rep point thing is a gimmick,a geegaw,a toy,it means sod all.

We are never going to get on with everyone we have contact with,you would wear yourself out trying. ;)

Your posts have been instructive and interesting and I for one feel that you are being a wee bit selfish by denying your knowledge to the rest of us. ;)

Please think about putting your less than favourite members on ignore and dive back in to the fun.It's not easy to pop back up when you've said bye bye but one post is all it takes. :D

Reactions: Toddy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Come on, Fallow Way!.

Theres no need; we all get miffed sometimes, folk take things too much and too deep, its only a forum, not soccer.

Come on and log in again, and, to get you back into fettle, I will bore you glass-eyed with a well chosen tirade about Star-knot technique or something like that.

Now, theres thoughtful for you.
Or, perhaps not: now thats even more thoughtful, for the rest of you :rolleyes:

Ceeg

Reactions: Toddy

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
Well I'm new to the site so I haven't seen anything like the bickering you're referring too (not suggesting that it's not there of course). However, if you're feeling the way you do, I understand. I left the British Blades site simply because I got tired of threads getting closed, insults being thrown around, accounts being closed and the like. So far, with BCUK, I've found the users to be far more welcoming, approachable and darn right friendly than many other sites I frequent.

Good luck with your endeavours m8.

Nemisis

Settler
Nov 20, 2005
Staffordshire
Hi FW hey us midlanders are in a minority here you can't leave otherwise another year we'll all be typing in welsh. Be safe my friend whatever you decide.
Dave.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE