tagging replies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I'm having a problem tagging replies to specific postings. It doesn't seem to make any difference which reply mode i choose, the reply is always tagged to the last posting in the thread.

Any advice on what i'm doing wrong?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'm having a problem tagging replies to specific postings. It doesn't seem to make any difference which reply mode i choose, the reply is always tagged to the last posting in the thread.

Any advice on what i'm doing wrong?

You need to use the "Reply with quote" button directly under the post you want quoted.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
I've opened the thread and read all the replies and this is replying using the 'reply' button under your posting on the right-hand side which is next to 'reply with quote'. Then i click the 'post quick reply' button. Therefore i think i should be replying to your post, Jonathan. I shall check in the 'hybrid view' above.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Right. I've done the same thing again but i've now clicked on the 'reply to thread' button on the left-hand side. Goodness knows where this will go!

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Right. There ain't no difference. Both buttons will reply to the posting you are reading. 'Reply to thread' is a little misleading therefore. What you need to do is choose your posting and reply specifically to it using either button.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right. I've done the same thing again but i've now clicked on the 'reply to thread' button on the left-hand side. Goodness knows where this will go!

Weird that it's not working for you. I can't imagine what it could be. Have you looked under "settings" at the top of the page.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Right. There ain't no difference. Both buttons will reply to the posting you are reading. 'Reply to thread' is a little misleading therefore. What you need to do is choose your posting and reply specifically to it using either button.

There is no 'Reply to Thread' option for me, I have 'Reply' 'Reply with Quote' and the multi post quote option " "+"

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Weird that it's not working for you. I can't imagine what it could be. Have you looked under "settings" at the top of the page.

I've just replied using exactly the same procedure and my reply went to my first posting! It's more than wierd, its spooky!
Anyway...off to bed now. I'll hit the test forum tomorrow to check things out. Thanks.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not sure what the problem is but you'll always reply to the last thread posted unless you choose "Reply With Quote" and then you'll quote the text in the thread you've selected.

Reply to Thread and Reply are the same, Reply With Quote quotes the thread you want

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Right. Now i've picked out Jonathan's post about there is no 'reply to thread' option from the hybrid view, so i should be replying to that as it is the only one in my browser.
I have '+Reply to Thread' in the bottom left-hand side highlighted in blue. I thought this meant that i would be replying to the main post in the thread, however it functions exactly the same as the 'reply' button - it replies as Shewie says to the last post in the thread.
I have clicked on the 'reply' button. Now i am going to 'post quick reply' which should post this reply in the hybrid view directly to Jonathan's post.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Right. Now i've picked out Jonathan's post about there is no 'reply to thread' option from the hybrid view, so i should be replying to that as it is the only one in my browser.
I have '+Reply to Thread' in the bottom left-hand side highlighted in blue. I thought this meant that i would be replying to the main post in the thread, however it functions exactly the same as the 'reply' button - it replies as Shewie says to the last post in the thread.
I have clicked on the 'reply' button. Now i am going to 'post quick reply' which should post this reply in the hybrid view directly to Jonathan's post.

Well...it don't. I'm off to bed. Test forum tomorrow. Cheers all!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

How are you picking out one post ? What's this hybrid view ??

"+Reply to thread" is the same as "Reply" under each post, you can't reply to an individual post unless you quote it, which I think you've sussed out now.

"Post Quick Reply" just submits whatever you've written in the Quick Reply box, if you choose Go Advanced then you get the same edit options as if you'd hit Reply/Reply to thread.

If you want to post directly to Jonathans post you need to use the Reply with Quote button under his post.

Just gonna hit Post Quick Reply now :)

telwebb

Settler
Aug 10, 2010
Somerset, UK
Surely if everyone started to pick individual posts and reply directly to them so that it displays beneath that post things are gonna get awful messy for anyone else trying to follow (what happens if two want to reply to the same post?). 'Reply with quote' lets everyone know what you're replying to wherever it is in the thread. Looking for new posts that may be answering 'old' ones would be a nightmare otherwise.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
How are you picking out one post ? What's this hybrid view ??

At the top of the page, underneath 'Bushcraft Uk' you will see a toolbar. Along to the right-hand side is 'Forum actions'. Click on this, scroll down the page and you can choose 'hybrid view'. Then you will get a box at the top of the postings which tracks each reply to any message. It is this that is causing me the problem. My reply to Jonathan shows up as a reply to my own original posting. I think i may switch it off & go back to 'reply with quote' which always seems to work ok.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
At the top of the page, underneath 'Bushcraft Uk' you will see a toolbar. Along to the right-hand side is 'Forum actions'. Click on this, scroll down the page and you can choose 'hybrid view'.

Sorry - 'forum actions', 'general settings' and then scroll down the page to 'thread display mode'.

bivouac

Forager
Jan 30, 2010
Three Counties
Surely if everyone started to pick individual posts and reply directly to them so that it displays beneath that post things are gonna get awful messy for anyone else trying to follow (what happens if two want to reply to the same post?). 'Reply with quote' lets everyone know what you're replying to wherever it is in the thread. Looking for new posts that may be answering 'old' ones would be a nightmare otherwise.

My problem is with the hybrid view. I'm tracking posts in the box at the top of the page. I've switched it off now. No problem any more. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE