Synthetic tipi stove pipe install

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
Hay folks,

The title describes it all really, I have a waterproof tipi shell (no mozzy net) I'm thinking of installing a stove pipe on for a stove. I was thinking this would be the best place to see if anyone had done it before.
Was also thinking of maybe getting a tent insert for it too and winding if anyone has experience with any companies that could do it.

Wilderness Wonderer
Scotland

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Hi,
I haven't done the stove jack installation but I have made a partial nest liner for a 6 man Kifaru tipi. I am going to have a crack at making a mesh half nest for a Seek-Outside Silvertip at some point in the near future. I am not volunteering services though! Liners are not beyond a DIYer, but can take time if you are not practiced, and I am not practiced enough to be fast! I don't know anyone in the UK that does the sort of light weight nest I want, so am forced to do it myself. In the US, Bear Paw Wilderness Designs do tent liners.

It will help if you can tell folk what size tipi it is and exactly what the shell is made of. Not sure about places to get the work done. It will somewhat depend on what weight the tipi is. I mean, a company might do cotton liners for canvas and poly-cotton tents, but not be able to sew ultra light parachute nylon and mesh for a light sil-nylon tipi.

Might there be a ready made liner from another tent brand that will fit?

Chris

Sep 23, 2020
Scotland
That's some useful information, thanks. It's a Chinese tipi, says it would sleep 10 but you would definitely need to be friendly.
Kinda though I'd maybe have to do it myself.

Thanks dude

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A quick Google showed quite a selection of inner tents for sale in the UK, but they ranged from the sub-£100 DD Mesh Tipi to the £1000 offering from Tentipi.
I would imagine, with a Chinese tipi, you would not be looking at wanting to spend all that much on the liner. I would say that anything up to £200 is probably worth your while to buy rather than make, unless you have nothing better to do with your time, or nothing will fit. The cost of fabric adds up and the time to figure sizes, cut out BIG panels without adequate space, then sew without the bias cut panels stretching, its going to take quite a while.

One think I learned on my first liner, lay it out geometrically, measure everything, be super accurate, then sew to plan. Do not try to fit things as you go. These are not clothes to be tailored. That way lies madness!

Reactions: WildernessWanderer

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE