Sycamore wood bowl blank supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi All
ill explain why in a moment but my need for a piece of seasoned sycamore suitable for turning a hat block has become so pressing that I must now consider paying for a bowl turning blank big enough to be, when finished 8 inches by diameter by 5 inches high, although it may end up 4.5 inches high.

So far I've not seen any advertised that high/deep so or anyone know of a source.

In short, after a stressful weekend herself went slightly loopy with relief and took me to Parkins Fabrics in Oldham and blew a silly amount on two hat blanks, one of them a Czech double sided fur felt, top of the range like. The other is a wool felt but with a huge diameter, a real Van Helsing job. She also got me a jar of proper felt stiffener.

So now I have all the materials to make 5 felt hats but am stuffed without a hat block.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hi Tom, I might be able to help, I'll have a look in the workshop in the morning.

Just to check, the thread title says sycamore but the thread mentions ash, is either okay and/or other varieties ?

Cheers, Paul

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry that was my brain frying, I meant sycamore, I've edited it now.

Thanks Paulm, its appreciated.

Red, after what herself just blew on the fur felt blank any postage I pay for the wood would seem trivial! I'll admit its the nicest one I've seen, the sort that when finished would put you back £150+ from a historical milliner. I still want the sycamore you've kindly put to season but I've promised to get on with this one and it needs to be fully seasoned so it won't shrink any after I've turned it down. To make sure I don't turn too much off as well a callipers and rulers I will constantly try on a hat that fits me well.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Unfortunately only sycamore and to a lesser extent alder can (supposedly) stand the repeated moisture, heat and pressure without splitting and are soft enough to stick the pins into. Normally i'd have your arm off for free oak, there's a dug out hearth tinderbox I really want to copy that needs a 4 x 3 x 12 inch block and a whole bunch of box construction tinder boxes I have made working drawings for that need to be done in oak or elm. Cheers for the offer anyway!

im going to have to bite the bullet and get some of those fake floorboard things have in oak as its already about he right thickness. But I digress.

ATB

Tom

david1

Nomad
Mar 3, 2006
sussex
I do have a little sycamore but would need to go check on what is at the top of the pile, but its only two years since it was cut so at that size may still be quite green.... let me look and report back

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well fancy that! A it happens well be at Caerlon on the edge of Newport in just over a month so if I can hold my horses I can save the postage. I hadn't turned (no pun intended) that one up in my clumsy googling, thanks!

I can understand them not having a price list due to the ever changing nature of their stock but very roughly what's the normal cost of a big sycamore blank, so I don't go into catatonic shock when I phone them up?

Cheers folk!

atb

tom

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Hi Tom, I might be able to help, I'll have a look in the workshop in the morning.

Just to check, the thread title says sycamore but the thread mentions ash, is either okay and/or other varieties ?

Cheers, Paul

Hi Tom,

Sorry, got called away unexpectedly this morning. Just had a look in the workshop and don't have something that size in sycamore unfortunately although plenty in ash and walnut, but sounds like you have sorted a possible source anyway hopefully.

Cheers, Paul

Hi All
ill explain why in a moment but my need for a piece of seasoned sycamore suitable for turning a hat block has become so pressing that I must now consider paying for a bowl turning blank big enough to be, when finished 8 inches by diameter by 5 inches high, although it may end up 4.5 inches high.

So far I've not seen any advertised that high/deep so or anyone know of a source.

In short, after a stressful weekend herself went slightly loopy with relief and took me to Parkins Fabrics in Oldham and blew a silly amount on two hat blanks, one of them a Czech double sided fur felt, top of the range like. The other is a wool felt but with a huge diameter, a real Van Helsing job. She also got me a jar of proper felt stiffener.

So now I have all the materials to make 5 felt hats but am stuffed without a hat block.

ATB

Tom

Brilliant, I love big hats!! Got any pics Tom?

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Have yer ever tried this place.not too sure if you'll get sycamore but worth a try.ive had oak n ash off them in the past so might be a good contact for some of yer other projects or sort something else suitable out pal
Elsworth AJR Ltd
Timber Merchant
Firwood Works Firwood Industrial Estate, Thicketford Close, Bolton BL2 3TR
01204 307196

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Have yer ever tried this place.not too sure if you'll get sycamore but worth a try.ive had oak n ash off them in the past so might be a good contact for some of yer other projects or sort something else suitable out pal
Elsworth AJR Ltd
Timber Merchant
Firwood Works Firwood Industrial Estate, Thicketford Close, Bolton BL2 3TR
01204 307196

Cheers! Well Bolton is only a bus ride away and I can get there and back during school time. Thanks!

atb

tom

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers! Well Bolton is only a bus ride away and I can get there and back during school time. Thanks!

atb

tom

I've had a few nice bits of hardwood off em over years they'll get in what you want most of the time if yer ring up and explain what yer want and are going too use it for.its Worth noting that they shut for an hour at dinner time

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE