Sweetie pie: in praise of little knives

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
Some of you might know I'm a big fan of ML Knives ( www.mlknives.com) and I have several of Matt's knives and on any appropriate project I contact Matt him because he's a joy to work with.

In fact, the the Woods and Bush he made me has displaced all the other users in my collection -- my puukos sit crying at home. My leuku and khukuri languish unloved (but well oiled!).

The Woods and Bush is nearly perfect all rounder for me and has changed knife habits of 30 years standing. It's perfect for me except...

... for certain purposes (carving, fine work, delicate trimming chores) the blade at 4 5/8" ( ~116mm) is a little large.

And as Toddy pointed out in another thread, there's a lot to love about tiny blades.

So a while back I asked Matt to make me up a small scandi ground blade that is 2 3/4" (69mm). All my small blades are folders and I had a hankering for a small fixed blade.

Here is what he came up with, I call her "Sweetie Pie:"

Shortbushknifescandicompleted.jpg

Since taking delivery of Sweetie Pie, I've been using her for almost everything and I must say this knife is insanely handy. And of course Matt's workmanship is second to none.

It's useful all out of proportion to its size. And I'm really happy to be reminded of the joys of small fixed blades. She's petite, but built for hard travel and deft use... a gal meant for adventure. What's not to like?

I've never been much for multitools, I'm just not wired for a single, busy device.

So I've always traveled with a small, light tool kit. Currently I'm reworking my traveling tool kit -- awl, pliers, knife, snare wire, tweezers, needles, thread, various and sundry items -- with Sweetie Pie as the anchor. I'll post the results when I finish the leather case for it all.

But in the meantime I bow before the sheer beauty and total coolness of really small blades...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE