Swedish ww2 Parker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
A lot of interesting information in this thread!
I sense a small aversion towards horses though ��

No aversion, just unfounded fear and well founded envy....

We were never issued the M59 two button, maybe it came after I quit? When I did the refresher months we just used stuff from our allocated mobilisation depo.
Maybe they deemed the m39 too worn out. Awesome shirt, I wish somebody would make one with the same material and weave, but will frontal buttons all the way down.

Yhat would be the ultimate late spring and early autumn clothing!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I keep hearing (and will consider it opinion and supposition) that kit was stockpiled and 'sat on' by the Swedish powers-that-be. But I keep seeing a lot of very old but apparently unused Swede kit ~ I'd put money on my M59 trews having never been worn. And even my wool stuff looked completely unworn.

Given that your unit issued you with the Livpals coat over the M59 version perhaps your unit tried the M59 shirt before you joined and found it wanting and had the option of going back to using the M39's? Though I'm guessing you got what you were given :dunno: . Equally, if your allocated mobilisation depot had a mass supply of the M39 perhaps they just kept going with them until they'd run though them?

I might have to investigate the M39 waffle top :D

EDIT: Back on the P.C ... I can now see Arya's horsey pics! :rofl: :yikes:

Last edited:

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Yes, kit was stockpiled in discreet but extremely well built barns all arounf Sweden. Plus in man made mountain caves.
I had to ispect some of the storage belonging to the Infantery ( in case we could not be deployed to our designated assembly storage) and I remember the fantastic goodies stored there. Brand new, untouched cars from the 50's, ditto Jawa and Husqvarna motorbikes. Unused rifles, karbines, just everything.
Of course clothes and the rest of the kit.

I know that they stored hundreds of NIB english RR Meteor engines for the Centurion, and when they started scrapping these stores, I called up a friend at the Army headquarters in Stockholm and wanted to buy a few. They had sold a few a year before, and scrapped the rest.

I am still looking for a decent, affordable Meteor engine!

I keep hearing (and will consider it opinion and supposition) that kit was stockpiled and 'sat on' by the Swedish powers-that-be. But I keep seeing a lot of very old but apparently unused Swede kit ~ I'd put money on my M59 trews having never been worn. And even my wool stuff looked completely unworn.

Given that your unit issued you with the Livpals coat over the M59 version perhaps your unit tried the M59 shirt before you joined and found it wanting and had the option of going back to using the M39's? Though I'm guessing you got what you were given :dunno: . Equally, if your allocated mobilisation depot had a mass supply of the M39 perhaps they just kept going with them until they'd run though them?

I might have to investigate the M39 waffle top :D

EDIT: Back on the P.C ... I can now see Arya's horsey pics! :rofl: :yikes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... They had sold a few a year before, and scrapped the rest.

I am still looking for a decent, affordable Meteor engine!

:yikes: and :rofl:

As a man on the ground ... any recollection, or knowledge, of these saws?

It 'trombones' in length

The pic below is to highlight where the frame trombones and also how much smaller the frame will go ~ roughly 7".

When being cleaned it came apart and, initially, I thought I'd broken it:

Mora Clipper for scale

It's quite useful :D

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
I know that a green painted, collapsible bow saw was standard equipment in the BV 202, together with a green painted Husqvarna chain saw.
If yours have the Three Crowns imprinted it is ex Swedish Army.
I never used one though. Not an officer task.
I did teach out how to cut down trees in a specific direction using detonation cord though!

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I know that a green painted, collapsible bow saw was standard equipment in the BV 202, together with a green painted Husqvarna chain saw.

A bit further forward with knowledge :thankyou:

If yours have the Three Crowns imprinted it is ex Swedish Army.

It's definitely Swedish. It's the same as the standard 30" bow saw but a bit longer ~ and it comes apart :D

I never used one though. Not an officer task.

:cop: :thinkerg::viking:

I did teach out how to cut down trees in a specific direction using detonation cord though!

:240:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
While looking for pics of the mitts Janne mentioned I stumbled across a couple of reasonably interesting pics ...

It's looking like the type of pinned back fastening was still reasonably common in some armed forces during the early years of the 20th Century. The pic below was taken during April 1915 and shows Elow Nilson who was serving with the French Foreign Legion (With him is H. von Krogh a Norwegian. Nilson was a Swede).

Vikings+in+the+Legion.jpg

(pic from here ~ http://larsgyllenhaal.blogspot.co.uk/2010_08_01_archive.html )

Trying to pin those mitts down ... A couple of details shouted at me. Firstly is that the lowest button and tab is lower than we've seen on other coats in this thread. And secondly, the pinning tabs I originally enquired about seem to be on the outside of the coat.

15099442_370560459944408_4914181711840935936_n.jpg

(Pic found here ~ http://www.imgrum.org/media/1385489449852727143_1509980880 )

The mitts seem to have a separate index finger ~ certainly the mitt on the right hand of the lead figure looks that way and the second figure seems to have a significant dark line in the correct place. (Makes sense as it allows firing your weapon without removing the mitt)

(And those ski poles ~ they look like bamboo???)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE