swedish mess kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I just bought a swedish camping messkit marketed as a "camp a kit"
It has a box used as a messtin, a kukska, folding cup, kfs, and a cruet (salt/pepper shaker)
My question is this:-
The cruet/salt/pepper container has three compartments.Each has shaker type holes for outlet.One compartment is bigger than the other two.I presume that two are for salt/pepper respectively.
The question is what is the third compartment used for?

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
Yeah, im with you on that one spikey.You can never have too much chilli.
But i wonder what the swedish traditionally use it for as it was designed for them?
I wondered if there is a particular herb or spice the designers had in mind?
Anything that is traditionally used with swedish cuisine?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
These are nice little kits, a bit like the old tupperware stuff, but as its 'modern' I doubt anything is written in Scandinavian folk lore about what to put in them. I use, salt, salt, and white pepper.

I've been using it for pre-mixed chilli + curry powder. Livens up noodles, soups, beans etc. Only thing is even if you are careful, there still ends up being a little powder rolling around in the box, and you end up with slightly curried tea. But hey, that's Ok.

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've got one of these, excellent bit of kit. I put sugar in mine.

I dunno if they're still out there, but mine was £11 posted on ebay a few months back and the guy was still selling them last time I checked. They're quite a bit more than that usually IIRC.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I have no idea; they are all over the shops, but I've never seen anyone experienced use them in the bush.

I've used a wooden cup+spoon (and bowl when out in a group and can't eat out of the pot) since about 1980, for a few years before that I used the old army plastic kuksa and the spoon from a KFS kit (I still sometimes use the plastic kuksa in winter).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE