Swedish foot wraps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nevetsjc80

Forager
Sep 14, 2004
buckinghamshire
hey all

I am trying to find something im not sure what the offical name is but they are swedish army issue wraps that go over your socks inside your boots. I ve seen them before aand they are yellow but cant find them here? Anyone seen them for sale?

steve

Paul K

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2003
In the woods
Steve

Lars calls them 'foot lappa'. You can get them from army surplus in Sweden. Also Woodlore has a box of them somewhere but they keep a pretty tight hold of them.

All the best

Paul

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Lars calls them 'foot lappa'. You can get them from army surplus in Sweden. Also Woodlore has a box of them somewhere but they keep a pretty tight hold of them.

Fotlappar (pl, sing. fotlapp). You have no need to purchase the special magic surplus ones. Go to your friendly local fabric store and say "I need some pieces of wool fabric, medium weight, about 30 cm squares, don't really care about color unless it has Jar-Jar in day-glo pink on it". They will then show you their bin of "ends", and you can come away with a lifetime supply for a tenner. Just cut them into squares, no need for any more work (a "felted" wool is better).

I use them all the time inside moccasins and with my viking age kit; too hard getting them into wellies to be worth the bother.

Their main advantages is that they are quick easy to make and quick to dry (much faster than a knitted sock).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Do you only use 30cms square ?
I usually cut between 40 and 50 when I make them for folks. For myself I prefer a rectangular shape.

They are the original one size fits everybody wool sock :) They do air and dry much more quickly than knitted sock and they can be every bit as warm.
They don't wear through at heels and toes as quickly either. :approve:

cheers,
Toddy

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...about 30 cm squares, ...(a "felted" wool is better)..."

The link in my post above suggests 50 cm, which worked well with my high leg arctic boots, and yes, I used Transylvanian felted wool and thought it was very comfortable.

I'm told that many peoples simply use the wrap without a sock.

:)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is yet another use for the old jumper that ended up shrunken in a too hot machine wash :D
Mitts from the sleeves and futlaps from the body :cool:

cheers,
M

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
That first link sandbender posted makes me think they are'nt for me they look (personnley speaking) uncomfortable and restictive, did'nt the Russian army use a similar thing of wrapping a type of bandage or strip of cloth round there feet instead of socks? always thought it sound uncomfy but apparently it works.

topknot

Maker
Jun 26, 2006
bristol
Russian army, when worn with jack boots the foot wraps stop stuff getting in to the foot area of the boot.

rbp019.jpg

Topknot.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE