Swedish bushcraft film :)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

Michel Blomgren

Brian Curnel said:
The video was filmed well. I enjoyed it, however there was a bit of what id say to much reliance on modern tools. I think that the focus should be on modern tools first but a more traditional approach as a back up, for example a lighter and a fire stick? Maybe it should be more like a fire stick and fire piston...since a lighter will fail if the flint gets wet. Butagain **** 4 starts on the video! Bravo

Brian

Yes, true!

What I meant was that the lighter (or matches for that matter) is just for convenience, not to be relied upon, same as with a GPS, can't be relied upon if the batteries go out or get cold, etc. One should be able to throw away the primary means of lighting a fire and rely on the secondary (a more reliable fire stick in this case).

I was initially thinking about portraying someone who got lost who didn't have any means of making fire with him (basically any typical non-smoker) and would have to make a firebow to get fire. Since it's extremely hard for someone who hasn't practiced a lot on the firebow to succeed (especially in a survival situation I presume), I didn't want to send the signal that it's "easy" to get fire by rubbing sticks together in the forest. Afterwards I thought that it would be great since I'm not an expert on the technique and would probably fail a few times before eventually hopefully succeeding. That would've sent the signal to appreciate a fire stick more, for instance.

Since there's a lot of talk about gear in both episodes, I'm planning for the 3rd to be the opposite - just a knife, a cooking pot, the clothes on my back, and perhaps a wool blanket. For personal emergency I'll bring flint & steel + chared cloth to make fire (primary means is a firebow), a cellphone, a button compass, and perhaps a map of the area (depending on if I need one or not). Maybe a couple of nights or something like that.

It seems that my initial idea to make movies in the first place on this subject is working - they spur me into getting out there and do more personally challenging and exciting stuff. :)

M

Michel Blomgren

sandbender said:
Many thanks Michel

For those of you with Macintosh or Linux machines you can use VLC to open the .AVI file and load the .SRT subtitle file.

Select 'Open File' from the File menu and check the 'Load Subtitles' checkbox.

http://www.videolan.org/

I knew there was a media player out there I had forgot about. Thanks for reminding me! :)

M

Michel Blomgren

Abbe Osram said:
Hi Michel,
very nice movie!!
greetings from Gällivare
Cheers
Abbe

Thanks! :)
Checked out your homepage again, nice work! I'm quite jealous of you guys up there with all the snow and all. ;)
We had snow down here, enough to do some skiing, but it all rained away :(

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
Michel Blomgren said:
Thanks! :)
Checked out your homepage again, nice work! I'm quite jealous of you guys up there with all the snow and all. ;)
We had snow down here, enough to do some skiing, but it all rained away :(

Mate you only come up here and visit me, maybe with viking, I think you know him, talk to him.

Today I got my license "Auktioriserat instruktör inom Norrbottens län", so I am able to teach you guys "ripsnara" and sign you a permit to hunt with traps up here.

cheers
Abbe

M

Michel Blomgren

Abbe Osram said:
Mate you only come up here and visit me, maybe with viking, I think you know him, talk to him.

Today I got my license "Auktioriserat instruktör inom Norrbottens län", so I am able to teach you guys "ripsnara" and sign you a permit to hunt with traps up here.

cheers
Abbe

Congratulations!
That sure sounds tempting. :)

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Wow, what a great episode, I really like the amateur filming cause it shows how it really is and for some reason I think it looks better than an edited movie. :) (i know you've edited this, because you have to turn of the camera, etc, but ya know what I mean :D)

I'm looking forward to episode 3, if we will see one?? ;)

cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE