Swedish army trangia

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi all, I have an ally swedish army trangia cookset, I really want a simmer ring for the militery burner and I no one doesnt exist, however, I have read that the Tatonka simmer fits the militry burner, has anyone tried this?

I no the simple answer is to by a civvy burner but I like the way te militry one burns, its like a mini inferno lol and for boiling water its excellent, just no good for simmering!

What do you guys use for simmering?

All the best
Steve

Hi Steve,

If you are talking about this version of the trangia - http://www.trangiastove.co.uk/index.php - then it does come with a simmer ring. It's the hinged disk which allows you to partially cover the flame without actually snubbing out the fire. If you look on the site store (can't provide a link i'm afraid as they have built it in frames) there are two kits, the standard and the british which has a small arm attachment for the simmer ring (presumably to satisfy our 'wrap them in cotton wool health and safety laws). I hope this helps.

Tim

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Hi Steve,

If you are talking about this version of the trangia - http://www.trangiastove.co.uk/index.php - then it does come with a simmer ring. It's the hinged disk which allows you to partially cover the flame without actually snubbing out the fire. If you look on the site store (can't provide a link i'm afraid as they have built it in frames) there are two kits, the standard and the british which has a small arm attachment for the simmer ring (presumably to satisfy our 'wrap them in cotton wool health and safety laws). I hope this helps.

Tim

Tim - the link you have posted is the Civilian version.

The military version looks like this - http://www.surplusandadventure.com/...ng/cooking/trangia-stove-mess-kit-330662.html

Same thing really, but the burner has more capacity and DOESN'T come with simmer ring.

Steve - I have heard the same thing about the Tatonka. Let me know how you get on.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
military is bigger (more capacity) and even more squaddie-proof:) Many prefer the civvie version, although I don't really know why (I have both, and both seem to work equally well. Possibly the larger military burner takes a bit longer to come to full operation because of the additional metal to warm?)

The tatonka simmer ring does work on the military burner. You can also use the civvy trangia simmer ring on the military one, but its not a perfect fit.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
military is bigger (more capacity) and even more squaddie-proof:) Many prefer the civvie version, although I don't really know why (I have both, and both seem to work equally well. Possibly the larger military burner takes a bit longer to come to full operation because of the additional metal to warm?)

The tatonka simmer ring does work on the military burner. You can also use the civvy trangia simmer ring on the military one, but its not a perfect fit.

Cheers for the info guys, so does the tatonka simmer ring fit well or is a forced fit? I have tried to make one but it was rubbish lol

Northsky

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2007
Sowerby Bridge
Have you tried making a simmer ring from the top of an empty beer can? I made one for mine a few years back and still going strong. Just drill holes round the edge till it burns right.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE