Sweat Lodge Sauna

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Having just spent 6 days in the woods I have decided that my woodland needs some form of sauna.

Have you knowledge folk got any recommendations for types of construction.

I am looking for a relatively simple design but something fairly permanent.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a friend who just builds a hazel bender for a sweat lodge. Hazel frames and tarps over them, tied down and a laced flap for a door.
The hearth is outside, the stones are heated there and brought in to the other unlit hearth in a bucket..

Don't know if this is the kind of thing you mean, or maybe you'd rather a Scandinavian type wooden sauna ? :dunno:

cheers,
Toddy

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have built the hazel type before. I was looking for something more substantial but not really like a finnish sauna.

Not very helpful I know. I am just interested in different designs people have seen.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
How about a mini roundhouse ? :D

Double hurdle walls packed with bracken and a roof thatched with whatever is plentiful ?

You could have a proper hearth in that too.

cheers,
M

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
The Native Americans just use a normal Tipi design.

If you intend to use the sweat Lodge just like the Native Americans for Image journeys, be warned they usually have a watcher, to make sure the person in meditation/journeying does not get into difficulties. Most, Iv been told by a NA, have a Elder on site to work as a councellor should any emotional problems arise.

There is said in some of their trible cultures that women should not go into a sweat lodge at the time of their menstruation.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
I have decided on a mini round house. It should be a nice little project. Thanks for all the replies.

The proper native american sweat lodges I have been invited to use in Canada have been a domed canvas structures.

Purdy Bear

Jun 5, 2009
SE London
Have you looked up Wigwams and Yurts, there are plans a plenty on the internet. Both can be carried and made up. The plans Iv seen the Wigwam was the easiest out of the two.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE