Swanndri Ranger shirt a mini- review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Here is just a mini review for those who have been considering getting a Swanndri Ranger shirt but are so far undecided.

Swanndri is a very respectable company that's been around a good many years providing outdoors enthusiasts with warm, tough and durable woollen clothing. They have quite a few products and what I'm reviewing today is one of their legendary Ranger shirts.

Having said shirts, they're more like fleeces being very warm and best suited to going over a t-shirt rather than next to the skin, which can be very itchy. They are made for the New Zealand environment, which can often experience freak storms without a moments notice so are more than adequate for the British autumn/winter climate I would be using it in, in which it coped well.

It has good breathability and insulative properties due to it being made of pure wool. It can get quite heavy when wet and isn't suited for wet weather without a waterproof jacket over the top. It's highly fire resistant and so far I have worn it while next to a fire many times, and have not burnt a hole in it. It is similar in design to a fleece having a zip at the chest, which is welcome on cold wintry mornings when you're getting a brew going.

It has two breast pockets, which are very useful for holding things such as compasses and mini pocket-sized reference books. I use one of mine reguarly for a Collins Gem Trees book.

Washing a Swanndri isn't a simple affair of just chucking it in the washing machine, if in doubt you should always follow the manufacturers instructions and they say that it should be handwashed. So, for fear of having mine shrink in the machine I wash it in the bath with some Nikwax tech wash then hang it up to dry and that is all.

If it get's too warm you can adjust the chest zip and roll the sleeves up then it is cool enough for all but the summer months but you can still make yourself warmer if the temperature drops.

After a while it will loose it water-resitancy somewhat so you will have to reproof it, Nikwax cotton proof has been suggested in the past but I have contacted swanndri for their reccomendation and will let you know what they say.

Conclusion:

Excellent kit, warm and tough. A good, reliable overshirt for autumn/winter/spring use. Not recommended for harsh wet weather without additional protection.

Retailing around £59.99 at most stores and in various sizes.

Price: 8/10

Weight: 6/10

Durability: 10/10

Overall: 9/10

Please Note: This is not to be reproduced elsewhere without my permission.

Mar 6, 2005
London
My Swanni is one of my most treasured possessions. It can take pretty much anything I or the weather can throw at it. They are legendary, and can become family heirlooms.

My one complaint is that the weave is very open, and provides very little protection from the wind. I tend to use it most often in woodland, where wind-chill is negligible. I find that if I wear it out on the hills, I have to wear a wind/waterproof on top, and might as well just wear a much cheaper fleece.

I believe Swanndri now do a Ranger with a windproof lining, which might be worth considering. I would still recommend investing in one, but just don't expect it to shield you from wind-chill.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
i've got the one with a drop liner. supposed to be wind / waterproof, but as yet untested. just wish i knew about their genorous sizing as it's welll big.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Thinking about getting one of these or something made of wool. Sick of going to the pub with a man made fleece on and getting it holes burnt in it from someone’s cigarette. That’s my second TNF fleece knackered this way.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Quote -
".....just wish i knew about their genorous sizing as it's welll big. "

Take care when you wash it. Some people have experienced problems with shrinking, particularly with the arm length, when washed in a machine. There again you may want this to happen ??

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I've got the ranger extreme. Not really tried it in the rain yet, but you can wear it next to the skin fine.

ilovemybed

Settler
Jul 18, 2005
Prague
falcon said:
Quote -
".....just wish i knew about their genorous sizing as it's welll big. "

Take care when you wash it. Some people have experienced problems with shrinking, particularly with the arm length, when washed in a machine. There again you may want this to happen ??

I thought the trick with a swanndri was never to wash it? Apparently the natural accumulation of smur made it more waterproof over time, a bit like an actual sheep. Or have I been led up the garden path on that one?

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
Never wash it ?.....not heard of that though I know some people say leaving them unwashed with the taint of woodsmoke reminds them of happy times. There are threads around about the best way of washing (try a search) - some say use the machine, others say it's caused them problems. I chose the handwash/dripdry method and gave the shirt a general tug in all directions just in case.....The end result was it seems OK though the sleeves have possibly shortened a bit. I'll probably go one size larger when I buy another so as to be less fussy when washing.

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I'll add to the review comments and tips on washing if anyone is interested, just give me a moment.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
I ordered an olive green yesterday, hopefully it will arrive before friday or saturday so I can test it on the 4 day canoe and outdoor trip with my boarding school on monday. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE