Swanndri offer free freight again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 18, 2009
Lancs
Hi, Thanks for heads up i'm looking at getting a couple of good quality shirts have some stuff up for swaps at the moment. Do you know if you have to pay duty as well?

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
seeing as how they are now made in China it is as cheap to ship them here for free as to go to NZ first.

Have a look for a US army wool Korean war field shirt if you want heavy weight :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M1951-KOREAN-...in_0?hash=item5ad3bec429&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I got rid of my Swanni after getting one of these - much warmer and more comfy/ less itchy and a dam site more wind proof. I've knitted wool jumpers that are more wind proof than the ranger shirts etc.

Or if you want light weight look for a Pendleton wool shirt on ebay.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
seeing as how they are now made in China it is as cheap to ship them here for free as to go to NZ first.

Have a look for a US army wool Korean war field shirt if you want heavy weight :

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/M1951-KOREAN-...in_0?hash=item5ad3bec429&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I got rid of my Swanni after getting one of these - much warmer and more comfy/ less itchy and a dam site more wind proof. I've knitted wool jumpers that are more wind proof than the ranger shirts etc.

Or if you want light weight look for a Pendleton wool shirt on ebay.

I like the look of those Ed, what did the shipping and duty work out at ?

Are the sizes small ? They understandibly look a bit on the short side :rolleyes:

EdS

mind cost me about £15 delivered to my door - unissued as well.
No duty as under the £18 rule and second hand clothes.

If you go looking for one the orginal wool ones hace orange printed lable/instruction painted on to the shirt. Later ones are 80% wool 20% nylon

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Swanndi's have been sewn together in China for quite a long time ( a bit like 90% of the worlds outdoor clothing)... The most recent change was to move the production of the material to manufacture them to China also. I believe the wool is still sourced here in NZ.

Interestingly the price for garments on the ship for free deal has reverted to the 'normal' price. They were offering the Ranger here in NZ for about NZ$116.00. Perhaps the increase covers the cost of shipping??

It's pretty much impossible for NZ companies to compete against products made in a market where labour rates are lower and manufacturing volumes are far larger. Swazi is a sort of notable exception. But I think they are finding the market very tough also. I did notice that they have pulled out of most of the independant stores here in NZ and now only distribute via PGG Wrightson ( a National Farming store chain) or via their website. Swazi did have a subcontract to produce wet weather leggings for the NZ defence force but the contract holder pulled the production and got a cheaper deal in China...

I would say the older Swanndri's from the 'John Mac' days are far better in terms of construction and materials. Clearly they didn't think about product lifespan back then and they just last and last... If you're going to buy a Swanndri then you need to get an old one IMHO.

EdS

johnboy - I know exactly what you mean. I'm in Bradford home to the best worsted wool fabrics in the world - or was. You could count the number of mills in the distirct - Bradford up to Keighley on your hands and they are mostly making smaller run commission orders and special stuffwith a bit of yarn spinning, except John Foster's but they always did make very top end fabric..

I don't know any that make proper gabadine - they might still the the odd place locally.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Bit like that tale of Harris Tweed that Beeb 4 have been showing. Industry run into the ground.

And by a Yorkshire textile man, to boot. Brian Haggas.

Anyone see it?

Made me a bit embarrassed to be a Tyke, to be honest, which hasn't happened since the last time one G. Boycott opened his trap!

Jim.

deeps

Forager
Dec 19, 2007
Monmouthshire
I used this deal earlier in the year and stuff arrived pretty quickly. I made the mistake of putting together a single order that attracted the attention of HMCE for import duty. Should have done multiple orders for single items. They were running better offers back then.

Got to say that it is an iconic brand squandered by feckless management. Did some work for them in Timaru many years ago - not inspiring.

Swazi on the other hand http://www.swazi.co.nz really know how to build a brand. Good kit, but not cheap.

EdS

Bit like that tale of Harris Tweed that Beeb 4 have been showing. Industry run into the ground.

And by a Yorkshire textile man, to boot. Brian Haggas.

Anyone see it?

Made me a bit embarrassed to be a Tyke, to be honest, which hasn't happened since the last time one G. Boycott opened his trap!

Jim.

The Harris Tween cottage industry, rather than making for own use, came about due to the invention of the Hattersley Narrow Loom - made in Keighley by Hattersley's. They latter set up there own mill making narrow cloth - they are still the main makes of lamp wickes etc..

However, the foundery that made the looms closed but the milled carried on. Lack of spares etc is what made the Harris Tweed industry remachine a few years ago - they now make a broader cloth.

Reminds me I must get pay a visit and more wicks.

http://www.hattersley.co.uk/history.htm

Gabe

Forager
Aug 10, 2008
Bridgend, South Wales
Just a quick thumbs up for Swannie. I ordered last friday and it just arrive about 15 minutes ago!!! That's better delivery than some UK companies I've ordered with!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE