Swanndri moves to China

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
As of this morning, NZ time, the Timaru plant has closed...
All red and blue and black etc Swannies will be woven and made in China.
The green bushshirts will be woven in China, and assembled in NZ.

The prices should fall, but please do not hold your breath...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I suppose it doesn't. Swanndri is a big name - so any drop in quality (due to cheaper manufacturing processes) will automaticly result in a drop of their good name. And if it was my company, I wouldn't risk it (that would result in a decreasing profit :eek: - it's all aboout profit and making more money) - and put up some tough quality checks at the end of the proces line.

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I've just been speaking with my supplier for Swanndri who visited them a couple of weeks ago, and according to him he has seen the material produced in china (still from new zealand wool) and I was told that the quality of material has/will increase due to better manufacturing.
One of the main reasons for moving was the age of the Timaru plant and as always it being eneconomical to build a new factory at the site of the old one. Prices won't be changing either, although more investment will be made in the brand/range.

Andrew

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Yep they said exactly the same stuff about Macpac another NZ Outdoor Gear Icon when they moved offshore!! Delivery became a nightmare, Prices went up and quality went down!!

outdoorcode

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 14, 2005
Halton West Uk
www.outdoorcode.co.uk
I must admit I'm a little worried, as they would say that about quality wouldn't they. I was also told no price change and some of the additional profit would be ploughed into the brand which wouldn't be a bad thing (from my point of view at least). Suppose as Swanni's last years you could always buy from current stock and stash one away till you need it :)

BlueTrain

Nomad
Jul 13, 2005
Near Washington, D.C.
Until I joined this forum, I had never heard of Swanndri. I assume that it isn't available in the States. However, some well known American manufacturers have done the same thing.

Two of the best known American names in woolen are Pendleton and Woolrich. Woolrich is in Pennsylvania and Pendleton is in the northwest. Both have been selling woolen clothing for outdoorsmen (and women) for ages but now both have most of the products manufactured offshore. But as you know, everything changes all the time and things aren't that simple, if you want to complain.

First of all, things are not just made in China but in lots of places. Everywhere but in the United States (and New Zealand), evidently. Generally speaking, prices are lower but the quality is another matter. But if the quality is less, don't blame China. Blame the company! Then buy somewhere else. The problem is that, even if things are made where the labor cost is lower (a lot lower, as I understand), the product is often modified in other ways to keep cost down. It is true that many quality outdoor products, woolens, in this case, are still made in the United States but prices are high. Two brands that I know of are Beagle and Filson. I have several Filson products and they are just wonderful but they were expensive. There are other lesser known brands like Bimidji (from Minnesota) that are of equal quality at much lower prices, too. Funny how no one talks about them.

However, there is another side to the story. In fact, more than one side. For one thing, people just don't buy woolens like they used to. Fashions change, after all. I couldn't say, however, if outdoor clothing was a sideline to other products for these companies, at least for Pendleton, or if it was the other way round.

Real complications set in when you realize that woolens now offer more features than they used to. Many woolen shirts and a few other products are washable, which is surely an advantage. And, yes, I'm stocking up for the day they aren't made anymore, just the same. For instance, Pendleton informed me directly a while back that they were no longer producing garments sized "tall," which pretty much loses me as a customer. There are still some in the pipeline, more than enough to soak up all my extra money.

So that's the story at this end.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Berghaus recently seems to have had a lowering of quality standards, due to, I believe it has been said, relocating to cheaper manufacturers. I know there have been many on here who have been displeased with the newer Berghaus boots for example.

Do companies like Swanndri not realise that people are willing to pay extra for the quality? It seems greed is getting the better of them as usual, as someone said that the prices shall remain the same, yet obviously production costs will drop dramatically.

Scally

C.E.S.L Notts explorers
Oct 10, 2004
uk but want to emigrate to NZ
What suprised me i thought while in nz for a while stock up on a new swanni to find out that i can get the same product in the uk for the same price...
same with swazi.... save the money till i get back ..then

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
Spacemonkey said:
Do companies like Swanndri not realise that people are willing to pay extra for the quality? It seems greed is getting the better of them as usual, as someone said that the prices shall remain the same, yet obviously production costs will drop dramatically.
I have to say I had them down as the kind of company that would view such a move as heresy... As was said in another thread of a similar nature, they tell you the country of origin so you can choose not to buy if you like.
It may seem extreme to some of you but I shan't buy from them again... not least the doubt over quality, but also the prices :eek:
At the end of the day there are many more manufacturers out there.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
zackerty said:
As of this morning, NZ time, the Timaru plant has closed...
All red and blue and black etc Swannies will be woven and made in China.
The green bushshirts will be woven in China, and assembled in NZ.

The prices should fall, but please do not hold your breath...

Boycott them! Yep, I'm stirring up trouble. :D

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Wouldn't worry to much about it, a lot of gear is being manufactured in the Far East.

Some companies make bum products and always will no matter where their production line is based. Some companies products are improved by moving to Far Eastern production.

Swanni QC may drop for a while as the production makes its first run, this is nothing new and is always sorted out as quickly as possible. With regards to pricing, the RRP may drop but this will only happen if the UK distributor is skilled at negotiation and can see through the ' we should be able to keep the price the same' gag.

The problem we now have is that crude oil costs has gone through the roof..........this cost is passed on to the end user :eek:

Best wishes.

Jack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE