Sussex Meet - May (maybe bank holiday)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Okay all this has been batting about for a bit.

Lets sort out a meet - I am happy to act as organiser but need some help with the logistics.

Where?
Well this is the main problem. Does anyone have access to land that we can use for a meet?

When?
I'm thinking one weekend or maybe for the May bank holiday?

What?
Forgive me if this sounds a little off....

If a group of like minded people would like to spend a couple of day in the woods pottering about and learning the own thing or helping each other, GREAT!

If on the other hand we require a meet designed with kid in mind this is not something I have experience in organising or running.

Just some thoughts but if you have something to add or would like to come along (once we have a location) just hit reply.

Thanks

Mike

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Scout camp! there is the one at Poinings on the Henfield road, just before Shaves Thatch.
And the one at Small Dole next to Hillside.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
im up for whatever, whenever. just where i don't know:confused:

lamper wasn't there that scout camp just outside brighton?

pete

Scout camp! there is the one at Poinings on the Henfield road, just before Shaves Thatch.
And the one at Small Dole next to Hillside.

You are both talking about Park Wood, who it appears have recently change their policy and will only accept scout or other from the Scouts/Guides association.

I used to have an 'in' as I knew the warden but sadly he passed away just before Christmas. I need to find out who is running the site now and made work out the same thing, but if that's not on the cards, what are the other alternatives?

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
There seem to be a fair few campsites in Sussex that have woods, allow fires & which may be bushcraft friendly. I will try to make a list to see if anyone here has experience of them.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
There seem to be a fair few campsites in Sussex that have woods, allow fires & which may be bushcraft friendly. I will try to make a list to see if anyone here has experience of them.

Blackberry Wood is great been there a few times, but to get in for next Summer book now as it usually gets very busy in the summer months, loads of space during the colder months though when the summer campers are all tucked up nice and snug next to the Aga at home

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Blackberry Wood is great been there a few times, but to get in for next Summer book now as it usually gets very busy in the summer months, loads of space during the colder months though when the summer campers are all tucked up nice and snug next to the Aga at home

Hmm interesting....

I have seen this place, but as yo mentioned it always seems booked!! :(

Do you know if they allow open fires / firepits etc?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Hmm interesting....

I have seen this place, but as yo mentioned it always seems booked!! :(

Do you know if they allow open fires / firepits etc?

In the words of Tim the owner - Fires are obligatory:D

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
i've been to blackberry wood, personally i'd say its a bit naff, the campsites are all right next to each other so you have no real privacy or sense of being in the middle of nowhere and you have to buy firewood in bags and its kinda (very) tiny.

although maybe my opinion is warped slightly cause i had a bad time there cause i was with a bunch of twats and its was really heavy rain.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
never had a problem at Blackberry, we normally take our own fire wood with us, last time i went it was late winter so more or less had the place to ourselves, i never go there during the warmer months too many happy campers

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
c'mon toby it cant have been that bad! we are hardly spoilt for choice. althow about buying firewood, imagine if campers striped the woodland of dead wood - goodbye wildlife.

BUT if i ask nicely i can probably get some cordwood from work as long as you don't mind burning cr@py softwood (laylandii)

pete

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
did this actually go ahead pity i missed it,
i was wondering if we couldnt do another one in the autumn halfterm holiday??

theres always broadstone warren we could ask if we could camp there
lonja

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
I just got back from a week at Broadstone Warren with the cubs. Lovely place, but I think you'll find that it's scouts and youth groups only.

But I could be wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE