Sussex/Kent Meet - 10-12th June 2011 @ Broadstone Warren, East Grinstead

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
[BCUK Sussex Group Page - inc. dates for upcoming meets!]
Slightly more prescriptive this time due to the nature of the site, however for the avoidance of any doubt, details as per below:

Date: Friday 1th - Sunday 12th June
Arrival time: from 14:00 on the Friday

When you arrive on site, please park in the Rangers' car park and go directly to our pitch. Payment of fees should be to me (Nova) before you leave.

Fees: £4.75/person per night (£3.95 + VAT)
This is a discounted rate on the understanding that Broadstone staff may join/observe what we are doing

Camp Location: D8 - SITE MAP

Site Information:
Broadstone Warren is a Scout site situated in the Ashdown Forest in the North of Sussex, midway between the South Coast and London. The site which is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) and an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) comprises 386 acres of the Ashdown Forest with campsites situated throughout the woodland in many of the glades.

This is a social meet and not a course, so you are free to do or practice what you like (within reason and within the site's terms and conditions). We often have impromptu workshops or demonstrations depending on who is attending - if there is anything in particular you would like to try, let us know and we'll see if someone is able to oblige!

The other important stuff:
WATER: Standpipes are located at various points around the site.
FIREWOOD: There is ample wood for burning lying around the forest. Under NO circumstances is live wood to be cut or damaged. Chain saws are NOT permitted on the site. (NOTE: I have not yet verified the availability of wood, so if you have access to any, it may be worth bringing some wood or charcoal with you)
PITS: Due to the nature of the ground on site NO pits of any type may be dug.
VEHICLES: NO vehicles are to be driven onto the campsites or parked on the rides other than with the Duty Manager’s permission. On arrival you may be allowed to unload your equipment at your site after which you must park your vehicle in the car park allocated. At the end of your stay, after receiving the Duty Manager’s permission, you will be allowed to take your vehicle to your site to load up your equipment.
CYCLES: To comply with the Forestry Commissions Laws and Natural England, cycles are NOT permitted on the site.
DOGS: NO pets of any description are allowed on site.
NOISE / NUISANCE: As the consideration for other users is paramount, music players, radios and the like must not be audible off your own site. Noise must be kept to a bare minimum between 11pm and 7.30am. Unacceptable behaviour by any users on site will not be tolerated. Unacceptable behaviour includes: Bad language; Trespassing; Vandalism; Consumption of alcohol by minors/excessive consumption by adults; Illegal substance use; Setting fires (with the intent to cause damage); Acting in a way that may cause danger to self or others; Verbal, Emotional, Physical or Sexual Abuse
SECURITY: In the interest of security we would recommend that you do not leave any valuables in tents or buildings.
RUBBISH: Recycling facilities for glass, cans and tins are located at Camp Centre. Please clean all glassware, cans and tins before disposal. All combustible rubbish, where practicable should be burned. All other rubbish should be brought to camp centre and placed in the bins provided, or taken home for disposal.

* Forum members are responsible for themselves, the kit they use and their own actions (and any non member accompanying them)at the Meet.
* Under 18's must be accompanied by at least one parent (or appointed guardian).
* In the highly unlikely event that I need to make use of this ... I reserve the right to stop any individual(s) from attending a Meet. Any individual(s) who I feel endanger our future use of the site will be required to leave the site; outstanding fees will still be owed.

Directions

By Road
From the M25 - Leave the M25 at junction 8 following the M23 southbound towards Brighton. Leave the M23 at junction 10, and take the first exit on the roundabout along the A264 towards East Grinstead. When you get into East Grinstead, follow the A22 southbound towards Eastbourne. Remain on the A22, straight through Forest Row. Broadstone Warren is on the left-hand side approximately 2 miles south of Forest Row.

From the South - Follow the A22 northbound crossing the crossroads at Wych Cross (just after the Roebuck Hotel). The main entrance is approximately 500 metres after the junction on the right-hand side.

SAT-NAV - If using Sat-Nav, the postcode for the site is RH18 5JS. As you get close to the site, you need to look out for the signs as the same postcode is used for a number of local properties.

By Rail
The nearest train station is at East Grinstead, which is approximately a fifty minute train journey from London Victoria. When arriving at East Grinstead Broadstone Warren is a bus journey or ten minute taxi ride away.

By Bus
Bus services pass Broadstone Warren from East Grinstead, Uckfield and Haywards Heath.

Meet List
(copy and paste, adding your name at the end):

By adding your name you acknowledge that you have read and will comply with post #01 of this thread and accept that it can (and probably will) be edited before the Meet.

1) Nova & Pinky (arriving Saturday morning)
2)
3)
4)
5)

Last edited:

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
This is a discounted rate on the understanding that Broadstone staff may join/observe what we are doing

Bother - does that mean we've got to look like we know what we're doing ... ;)

Given all I did last time was made TJRoots feel better about his boy drill technique you probably want me hidden away in one corner.

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Sorry but can't do an overnight for this one - was away with work but even though that's now cancelled I'm under order to give my missus a clear day on the Saturday away from the little 'un.

Keeping fingers crossed for July one.

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
2) Neumo
3)Loenja, coming in and out at least, probs one night at least.
4)
5)

i can bring large iron tripod for cooking over fire

ps use the ranger carpark at the top near the ashdown information centre

Graywolf

Nomad
May 21, 2005
Whereever I lay my Hat
Extras this time but no dog.

2) Neumo
4)Graywolf +Dakota(13) on the 10th,Nathan(14)and Georgia(18)
5)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
i'll be there

2) Neumo
4)Graywolf +Dakota(13) on the 10th,Nathan(14)and Georgia(18)
5)Peter_t

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I would have love to have come along to this but unfortunately I will be running courses that weekend at our own site in Kent. ( which you are welcome to use if you ever get stuck for a place to go)

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Hi Graywolf, The magazine has free use of a small site Nr Ashford. Three fields and a small bit of woodland. Plenty of firewood but no other facilities so its bring your own water. There is a chemiloo onsite but thats it. We are hoping to build a compost loo and a camping barn on the site this year. Because its the farm owned by the former owner of the magazine and he is bushcraft friendly there almost no restrictions apart from wholesale destruction of the woodland :D :D We also have a pole lather and three shave horses onsite. Plus wood to make more.

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
Hi Graywolf, The magazine has free use of a small site Nr Ashford. Three fields and a small bit of woodland. Plenty of firewood but no other facilities so its bring your own water. There is a chemiloo onsite but thats it. We are hoping to build a compost loo and a camping barn on the site this year. Because its the farm owned by the former owner of the magazine and he is bushcraft friendly there almost no restrictions apart from wholesale destruction of the woodland :D :D We also have a pole lather and three shave horses onsite. Plus wood to make more.

Hi there Bardster,

I'm Shaun, new to this site, but an old hand at wild camping and travelling.
I'm just on the hythe side of ashford and would be interested in knowing what courses you run there?
And I know you wouldn't let a newbie use the site on their own, but if you ever decide to have a meet there, myself and two other bushcraft loving friends would be more than happy to join in with you as we are just on Ashfords door step, literally! :)

Shaun.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
It's a great little site with some very nice people. I spent 3 days there a month or two back at the Bushcraft Magazine bash & had a really good time.

Junglist

May 30, 2011
Kent
I'm off work from the 7th to the 11th, back at work on the 12th so I don't know if I could make this meet (Presuming I'm alowed to go?), So I'm looking for somewhere I've not been to as I don't want to waste a nice few days off :)
I could possibly make the friday night and saturday daytime before I'd have to head home ready for work the next day :(

Yeah the ashford site sounds nice, hopefully one day I'll get to know enough of you to visit you guys there.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Dont wanna hijack this thread, but have a look at the link at the bottom of my posts and the Bushcraft Magazine section of the forum.

Hi there Bardster,

I'm Shaun, new to this site, but an old hand at wild camping and travelling.
I'm just on the hythe side of ashford and would be interested in knowing what courses you run there?
And I know you wouldn't let a newbie use the site on their own, but if you ever decide to have a meet there, myself and two other bushcraft loving friends would be more than happy to join in with you as we are just on Ashfords door step, literally! :)

Shaun.

DaveWL

Forager
Mar 13, 2011
Cheshire, UK
Just to continue the hijack :)

Didn't know you guys were K&S based. Now I'm going to have to book myself onto some of those courses. No choice in the matter really ....

Nova & Pinky

Settler
Jan 13, 2011
Mitcham, South London (Surrey)
Bump!

Can you please add your name if you're coming along this weekend?

1) Nova & Pinky (arriving late Saturday morning)
2) Neumo
3) Loenja, coming in and out at least, probs one night at least.
4) Graywolf +Dakota(13) on the 10th,Nathan(14)and Georgia(18)
5) Peter_t

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I am looking forward to this & should be there mid-morning on Saturday. Lookng forward to getting out after having been stuck inside getting over a stomach bug.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE