Survival Tins - Updates

• Hey Guest, We're having our annual Winter Moot and we'd love you to come. PLEASE LOOK HERE to secure your place and get more information.
    For forum threads CLICK HERE
Talking of signal mirrors, Doug Ritter recently posted that no one makes a good plastic signal mirrors anymore, and has gone to glass ones in his pilot survival kits.
in post #456 i made a mentioning of the fact that Mors Kochanski stated in a video on youtube that plastic mirrors have a poor resolution compared to glass mirrors (a fact i wasn't aware of when assembling the kit i was referring to....) which means the latter are ways more efficient, especially at longer range....

wouldnt buy anything american made myself, always seems so expensive for marked up goods, might as well buy straight from china ( and bad experience of maglite!)

German metal work, like esbit stoves!!! and the jerry cans.
and of coarse we all love scandinavian bushcraft gear, always been happy with mora and lightmyfire , cheap and good quality and customer service.
sorry for going slightly off topic....
i stopped counting how many times someone tried to use "ammerrricca" as a selling argument for their junk -especially in the US' puppet state south korea... - or someone over here asks me if i'm from "ammerricca" even though this part of the world was known as (central)America for 250 years before some folks chucked a bunch of boxes of tea into boston harbor while framing the natives...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

the term "jerrycan" goes back to the desert campaign of world war two: the British kept captured german fuel containers whenever they could lay their hands on them as they were superior to their own -- their nickname for the germans was "Jerry"....

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
in post #456 i made a mentioning of the fact that Mors Kochanski stated in a video on youtube that plastic mirrors have a poor resolution compared to glass mirrors (a fact i wasn't aware of when assembling the kit i was referring to....) which means the latter are ways more efficient, especially at longer range....
Yeah, reflectivity is 20-30% higher.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Yeah, reflectivity is 20-30% higher.
On similar note, everyone be carefull of chinese optics, a lot use plastic, I got a 10x zoom lens adapter for phone, it was only £5, but awfull, ive got a 10x42 Hawke Naturetrek monocular, brilliant, really crisp, so much better light transmission, probably similar reason, better glass.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
sorry for going slightly off topic....

the term "jerrycan" goes back to the desert campaign of world war two: the British kept captured german fuel containers whenever they could lay their hands on them as they were superior to their own -- their nickname for the germans was "Jerry"....

Exactly, brilliant engineering, some of the WW2 german POWs here in somerset were used on the farms as labourers and formed up friendships with local villagers, they were very adpt at fixing up farm vehicles but were scathing of our metalwork, some of them were just poor city lads who got conscripted and who enjoyed the rural country farm life here and a lot stayed here after the war , even married locals, I think somerset rural farm machinery benifitted from it.

Also random off topic, apparently in UK in WW2, americans staying here complained that the british pubs were allowing black GIs in to the same pubs as white american soldiers, and that they wanted them segragated, and so they made the pubs Blacks only , and the british happily drank with black GIs, leaving white GIs no where to go, or something like that, history is odd like that

Hultafors Outdoor knife for Sale

We have a a number of Hultafors Outdoor Knives with Firesteels for sale.

You can see more details here in this thread OUTDOOR KNIVES The price is £27 posted to the UK. Pay via the paypal button below.