Survival (penrith) hooped bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Picked this up totha day, checked seams etc, seemed in good order other than discoloration on base material. Reckoning some fabsil would cure any weakness there. Goretex looks like the early gas permable type that you can seal yourself in.

So I set it up..... First off I broke a pole at footbox end over tensioning :(
Then I noticed, seam stress once pegged out.
a6uvegen.jpg

6u6yve7y.jpg

y9e3yje2.jpg

arazyryg.jpg

asymyzyg.jpg

Bit of gaffa to cure?
agy9e3e2.jpg

Some moisture ingress on nylon base and unusual staining from long term storage?
9u4ury3u.jpg

mosquito or midge mesh? Super macro close up...
u2yhudyq.jpg

Inside, to vent or not to vent if not using a poncho for tarp?
emu9ybeh.jpg

4ena4eva.jpg

yme8yry5.jpg

I'm not much of a ground dweller these days, so to repair or dispair?

Any idea of age? Google doesn't hold much detail, couple of old threads on here, but not giving age away.
Cheers

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It was usually the floor that went first on the old SA bivvies, not sure if it can be salvaged or not now though.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
No its an old Survival Aids double hooped bivi from about the mid 80s .

Expensive in the day ,,, but gore tex dont last forever

Twodogs

It's in the 1989 catalogue, Cliff. £129 in OD and £139 in DPM. By '92 £165 and £169.95 respectively.

Big wedge back then... and yes there is a bloke in a norgie shirt and mooostash in the pic....

PA070046.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: CLEM and Limaed

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cheers gents, and a decent little video :thumbup: another scrap bivi I've bought then. £25 anyone :D

Aug 1, 2017
Leeds
Picked this up totha day, checked seams etc, seemed in good order other than discoloration on base material. Reckoning some fabsil would cure any weakness there. Goretex looks like the early gas permable type that you can seal yourself in.

So I set it up..... First off I broke a pole at footbox end over tensioning :(
Then I noticed, seam stress once pegged out.
a6uvegen.jpg

6u6yve7y.jpg

y9e3yje2.jpg

arazyryg.jpg

asymyzyg.jpg

Bit of gaffa to cure?
agy9e3e2.jpg

Some moisture ingress on nylon base and unusual staining from long term storage?
9u4ury3u.jpg

mosquito or midge mesh? Super macro close up...
u2yhudyq.jpg

Inside, to vent or not to vent if not using a poncho for tarp?
emu9ybeh.jpg

4ena4eva.jpg

yme8yry5.jpg

I'm not much of a ground dweller these days, so to repair or dispair?

Any idea of age? Google doesn't hold much detail, couple of old threads on here, but not giving age away.
Cheers

Aug 1, 2017
Leeds
Hi there, saw your post about the Penrith Survival Double Hooped bivi, just picked one upon myself, but has the bottom pole missing. Got onto the original 'Bulldog' pole Manufacturers but they can't find their specs....could you please help i.e. how many sections to the bottom pole, length of each section, total length, anything else you could help with, I'm in Leeds, West Yorks. Would really appreciate any assistance you could give. Thanks, look forward to hearing from you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE