"Survival" cake

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi all,

Found this recipe yesterday in an old outdoor magazine. It was all in dutch, so I had to translate it - hope I did it correctly :roll: Hope to give it a go next weekend :cake:

“Survival” cake (recipe)

Total: energy 31600 kJ, fat 38%, carbohydrates 55%, proteins 6.3%

Ingredients:
- 100 gr sugar
- 200 ml oil (sunflower)
- 100 gr honey
- 200 ml milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 50 gr dried vigs
- 100 gr dried abricots
- 100 gr buckwheat flour
- 500 gr plain flour
- 300 gr rye flour
- 100 gr cocos flour
- 100 gr almonds

• Heat up the sugar, honey, oil, salt and milk in a large pan.
• Chop up the abricots and vigs.
• Mix the dried fruits with all the other ingredients, and give it a good knead
• The “dough” texture you get should be very dry.
• Put everything in a greased baking tin.
• Bake the cake in a oven on 180 degrees celsius, in about 1 hour.

• 1/10th of this cake equals a main meal.
• Drink plenty of water with it!
• If you pack it well (in plastic) it’ll be good for weeks.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Sounds interesting! I'm guessing that cocos flour would be dessicated cocount to us Brits (dried and finely shredded coconut). Let us know how it tastes!

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
maybe cocos flour is cocoa flour, given "a" is next to "s" on the keyboard? Looks like one to try for next weekends walk in the Beacons...

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Now that it's translated from the Dutch all I need to do is to translate it from metric and I can have a go at making it...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Justin Time said:
maybe cocos flour is cocoa flour, given "a" is next to "s" on the keyboard? Looks like one to try for next weekends walk in the Beacons...

It's really cocos flour (or cocount :?: as Match says); checked it with the original dutch verion, this says kokosmeel (cocos flour)..., so no mistype in here.
But I think you can add or leave things to your personal taste ... so maybe cocoa is an idea for the future, to improve or give it another taste. Good idea though :biggthump

Another idea could be putting in nuts or home dried fruits from bush forages :wink:

When I made the cake I'll try to get some pics of it in this thread :eek:): (if I'm still alive by then :wink: :rolmao:)

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
You have a variation of the greatest survival food of all time- fruitcake! I would never eat ths stuff until I read Lord of the Rings and the cake the Elves gave Frodo and Samwise. Then I made my mother make her annual Christmas effort in July.I sat in an abandoned walnut orchard reading the story one summer with a old bayonet and my fruitcake. AH, the foods we miss just on looks and reputation alone. I am still catching up with bright orange american sweet potatos, calamari and mushrooms :wink:

Quill

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2004
Wisconsin
Chris, if you get the chance, watch the movie "Iron Will". It will really make you like fruit cake.

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
EdS said:
fruit cake with a wedge of proper farmhouse Wenslydale cheese (Richard the Third personal choice) and a cup of tea. Or a glass of port in the evening.

Remind me to invite you as the cook on my next expedition! :rolmao:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Match,

would Sir be wanting the Islay malt or the Somerset apple brandy got go with the camp fire?

Actually a great drink for around the fire is mulled cider. However, rather than but brandy/apple brandy in when heating put a slug of good ginger wine in the cup then add the mulled (brandyless) cider. more taste and you keep some alcohol.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Great, Ahjno.

I reckon that kokosmeel is dessicated coconut, too. Surely what we English would call "cocoa" is something like "kakao" in Dutch?

As a kid, "survival cake" was Kendal Mint Cake. Essentialy just a block of pressed sugar with mint oil in it.

My grandmother's Christmas Cake recipe would be a good one to take on an expedition. I should have made the cake a couple of weeks ago, to leave it to mature... I'm late (again) this year.

Served in the Yorkshire fashion, with a good slice of Wensleydale on it, you've got a meal in a mouthfull. Wash it down with a good strong winter ale. :D

Keith.

CLEM

Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Or a Samuel Smiths imperial stout,oatmeal stout or porter.Great beers from this Yorkshire brewery,my absolute faverite.

EdS

good choice.

Dent brewery Ramsbottom (Tups Ar*e as its known) not bad either. Mind you for a general pint I'm lucky as Tim Taylor's is the local brew.

The joys of North Yorkshire - cheese, beer and scenery. Now if they can just get the weather sorted.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Keith_Beef said:
Great, Ahjno.

I reckon that kokosmeel is dessicated coconut, too. Surely what we English would call "cocoa" is something like "kakao" in Dutch?

Almost Keith!! :biggthump : it's cacao - but my professor at Uni swaps almost every "c" for a "k", so in that case you would be right :eek:): :wink:

At the moment I'm at Uni: checking my BCUK messages and my e-mail, because my internet connection at home is really :aargh4: :censored: :tapedshut
and after posting this reply I'm off to buy rest of the ingredients for the cake :super: - hope to show you monday the results

I'll keep you all posted about my high cuisine cookery (already got my dad's digi cam :p )

george

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
N.W. Highlands (or in the shed!)
The only thing that kept my wife going when she was breast feeding our youngest was litre after litre of tea and slab after slab of christmas cake!
If you were to ask her she would say that it's the best survival food there is.

George

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
And about this time of year, I remember as a kid that Blue Peter would have a spot about making survival cake for garden birds.

From memory, it was mostly bacon rind and fat, suet, dried fruit and broken hazelnuts packed together... Sounds too good for the birds.

KKK

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE