Survival bait

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Scenario: want to fishing, but no bait at all.
Some paracord (if bright color, better), a lighter, a hook, a small knife, you have all what you need

Cutting some paracord, long double you’re hook

Pull out the internal wires of the paracord, until you reach the middle of the paracor

Now, insert the hook in the paracord
[/URL]

Cutting the paracord, until you reach the ring of the hook

Melting the paracord, near the ring of the hook
[/URL]
[/URL]

The same on the other side (carefully, you don’t wnat to melt the internal wires)

Now you’re bait is ready…

…and you may use it, attached to a half metre of wire

hoping for a good catch.

Mine is from today whit me in my emergency kit

Ciao, Alfredo

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Looks cool - I'll be interested to see what you get - in freshwater small perch and trout may have a go. Natural baits are fairly abundant if it doesn't work. I've had success with Worms (of course) Slugs, Elderberries, and Grasshoppers but most insects should entice a hungry fish, seeds should work too but getting them on the hook could be tricky. I do know one guy who's used just tin foil wrapped around the hook shank to catch.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Nice one Bro.
There used to be an old poacher that lived around here, he just used a bit of red wood, the guy was a legend in his day.
Your lure looks like a nice and juicy wee shrimp.
Did you know it’s illegal to use prawns for bait on salmon around here, so you defiantly got the colour right.

An old Hugh Falkus trick for night fishing and I mean pitch black, you just use a small bit of cork and drag it along the surface seatrout snap them off the surface, its supposed to look like a wee frog.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2011
LONDON
I could see that catching mackerel,garfish or even small bass,you could throw it out with the weight and sink and draw it back or fish it paternoster style in a running tide,excellent idea....

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Hi Alfredo.
I was watching Matt Hayes on TV the other day, he was using a bright orange dry fly in the middle of the day, A dip or a dap a bap or something, whatever anyway, You could always add a small white, yellow or copper bead just below the hook eye for extra weight and that bug head look, but that’s probably just me and my aesthetics.
PS that nut sinker is a bit rough though and could easily cut through the line if you get a big fish to tighten the line, I hope to get a new musket ball mould in the New Year for ammo for my slingshot I’ll give you a shout when I get it, that nut is just bad news for an an otherwise nice wee rig.
Tight lines and Later Bro.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE