Supermoon 22 July 2013?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I'd like to have a go at photographing the moon and so was looking up moonrise times on:

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?obj=moon&n=1355

It says that on 22 July this year there is a 'supermoon'. Probably not as good as the one in June (which I missed), but worth trying anyway.

The info for 22 July 2013 is

Date........... Moonrise....... Moonset...... Meridian passing
22 Jul 2013......20:28........... 04:56........00:18

But it also says there is a 'Full Moon' at 19:16 - which seems to be before it has risen.

Can anyone please advise on what these times actually mean?

For my part I just need to know when is likely to be the best time to be out trying to get a picture ie when the moon is reasonably high and it is also fairly dark. But it would be interesting to know how the moon can be 'full' before it has risen.

Or - as usual - am I being a bit thick?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Moonrise and Moonset I think are just what they say for your location... the full moon at that time would indicate it is at a location that is in the dark sooner than you are. The meridian is a line that goes through the north and south poles so my guess is that you will see the moon by the north star at that time.

I'm just guessing what those things mean but give these settings a go for the photos and show us the results...

1. image stabilisation on
2. maximum zoom
3. single point AF
4. ISO 200
5. Manual Shooting
6. 1/250 second at F8

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Actually, I just thought about the full moon and I think it's the nerdy way of saying the earth isn't between the sun and moon at that time but it might not be in the night sky.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just had a go at photographing the half moon - I need to play about with the settings/choose my opportunity - I was hoping to get a picture of the moon and include something recognizable in the picture eg a church, but that is looking really difficult with lenses I have (no big telephoto lens)

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I still don't understand the timings in the table though.

The moon was 'photographable' at about 10.30pm tonight and didn't seem very high in the sky but the table says that for today

Moonrise = 2.15pm

Moonset = not given but based on following day s/be about midnight

And then it says 'First quarter at 04.19'

My head hurts.

Pete11

Nomad
Jul 12, 2013
Scotland
Moonrise time is when Moon breaks horizon and we can see it. It will already have reached Full phase before it breaks horizon, on the Supermoon date, so thus already full.

First Quarter is actually what most folks ''see'' as a half Moon. We only see the same side of the Moon always, so in effect we only see one half. Half of that makes your Quarter. HTH

Pete

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
The moon isn't always high in the sky. Currently it is quite low the whole time you can see it.

The moon phases (full moon, first quarter etc.) are just the correct times for the exact moment the moon is in line with the earth and the sun (full moon or new moon) or at a right angle to the line between the earth and the sun. This can of course happen when the moon hasn't risen yet at your location. But there is no need to worry, your eye can't see a difference if you take your picture a few hours later. In fact most of the time the moon looks full for more than one night...

You might want to have a look at The Photographer's Ephemeris which shows not only the time of sun and moon rising and setting, but in which direction from a given position and it shows you how high in the sky the moon is. The desktop version is free.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Thanks Turnstone - I haven't previously taken that much notice of the moon so haven't noticed where it is in practice compared with rising and setting.

Thanks also for the link - just had a quick look at the introductory page and looks good

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE