Super Skadi SPAM Can Lantern

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
After my UCO micro took a couple of candle extinguishing rain hits, spread over a number of trips, during our rather less than spectacular 2012 I had two moments of clarity.

The first time it happened I wasn't sure what had actually caused the issue. On recurrence I had a moment of realisation that my UCO really lantern needs a brolly, even more so than a chap in a pin-stripe ;) . The second moment of realisation coming when holding an empty SPAM can :D .

A third, barely relevant, moment came when I finally accepted that some canines really do think that a SPAM can, empty or otherwise, really is the dogs in more ways than one ! :eek: :rofl: .

The first thing to do was to see whether there's sufficient space in the can to allow the candle to burn properly ~ there is :D .

It's yet to have weather checks, time will tell :dunno: . Rain from above shouldn't be too much of an issue, but impact splash might be. There wasn't much in the way of a breeze during the test either, so again, time will tell.

The light is very directional. Again, some play time will tell whether the idea is sound ~ but UCO sell light deflectors for their lanterns and this one will have it built in. The candle will also need a 'placing tray' ~ it'll make positioning and relighting the candle a whole lot easier :approve: .

There's a fair chunk of wasted space if it's sole purpose is 'lantern'. So I turned my mind to what do use it for during packed time and, at this point in time, I'm thinking 'extraneous fire lighting kit' ~ Bit of inner tube, gas lighter et.c, the stuff which doesn't usually make it into a traditional fire lighting kit but is really useful to have to hand when I want a brew asap and don't want to play dodge the rain drops.

So time to give it a carry cap :D ...

The lid is spalted beech, soaked in Boiled Linseed Oil.

I'm still finalising _exactly_ what I want from the closure / carry strap and (pending remembering to do so) I'll add what I end up doing to this post at some point in the future. But it's likely to resemble the rather skeletal '37 pattern water bottle carrier.

And if I damage the tin it's easily replaceable :approve:

Thanks for taking the time to look in and have a read.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Nice one Phil. :)

Do you think if you light two candles you'll be able to heat a mug through it?

I'm thinking emergency brew kit as well...

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks for the kind words.

Could the lid be recessed to become the placing tray too perhaps?

Even with recessing a wooden lid is probably going to be a bit bulky for that ~ a formed metal lid might be more suitable tray and have the advantage of hitting two birds with one stone :D .

Good stuff indeed >>><<< That's what I was thinking too

I reckon it might be worth a try ;) ~ two candles under the can might turn it into something you can heat the water in instead of on (but, before someone else points it out, you might want to remove the bonded plastic liner first :approve: ).

Good stuff!

Are you going to have Lucky Lee make a nice case for it?

I like Lee and admire his craftsmanship ~ but ...

S7300563_a.jpg

... I think I have it covered ;)

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Spam saviour of thousands, noticed a black mark on one side is that from lit candle or ? first thoughts were babies head tin with a wee hinged door. worth trying.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Way to pimp your Spam!

Good thinking that man :)

Maybe a piece of concave ally foil in the bottom would focus the intense 1 candlepower beam; an improvised 1 candle power torch :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've never managed to get Spam to brown, I can burn bacon grill no bother though :)

I can :D . Comes up nice in a basic steel meat can if you put the slices in the pan before bringing it to temperature. Doing it from cold also means that it cooks in its own fat, so no need to carry any additional oil / fat :approve: :cool: .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Maybe a piece of concave ally foil in the bottom would focus the intense 1 candlepower beam; an improvised 1 candle power torch :D

And if the previously mentioned placement tray for the candle were formed 'just so', it would also enable placement and removal of said foil ;) .

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire

That's what I was thinking too

Trialling at the moment. It's slow, as you'd expect from two tea-lights, but it's also effective. Definite need for a wind shield and lidded pot ~ again, to be expected if you want to make efficient and effective use of any heat source ;) .

I'm not sure whether it'll hit a rolling boil, but it should do for a coffee or powdered crapuccino type stuff.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... I'm still finalising _exactly_ what I want from the closure / carry strap and (pending remembering to do so) I'll add what I end up doing to this post at some point in the future. But it's likely to resemble the rather skeletal '37 pattern water bottle carrier...

Oops, forgot the update :eek: ...

Still not really the final job ~ it's made from a couple of scraps and is a bit thin / flexible. Anyway, what I ended up going with was ...

Strappaged, tin closed up ...

Closure method ...

With strap off ...

Again, thanks for looking

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
EDIT: never mind, looks like you could get 3/6 candles in there almost, 4 most likely

You can get seven 8 hour tea light candles in it ;) ~ so both lantern and carry / storage tin and enough for a good few nights :D .

EDIT: Eight 4 / 4.5 hour tea light candles will fit with ease, ten if you plan and persuade ~ so you're better off with the 8hr jobs. I've not got 10hr tea lights so can't check on that one :eek: :sad6:

Looks good.
Whats the half soft leather half thicker leather thingy in the shots?

Round thing? That's the carrier I made for my UCO Micro ~ space for one 8 hour candle plus a 4 hour in the spares compartment.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE